Critique this site

trouble706

Here are my thoughts..

- It doesn't validate.

- Is it legal to use iStock photos like that? Looks like you just grabbed stuff from google searches.

- Does alternating images irritate your target users? Is it really needed?

- The AISG logo look rough around the edges (literally and figuratively speaking). I would try and get something more polished looking.

- I would ditch that logo's flash stuff personally, as it feels less professional.

- The graphics for the menu panel and menu buttons look rough and hashed.. Looks like it was slapped together in a hurry.

- No copyright info the footer? The footer content looks odd in its current position.. perhaps centered would be better?

Otherwise, the layout is simple and clean enough. Pretty understandable navigation.

The I Stock photos are just placeholders...The client is supposed to purchase the actual photos. I should have mentioned that and I forgot..And he provided the logo so I am kind of stuck there. I do see your point on the footer. And I just hadn't placed the copyright info in the footer yet. I think that is what I am most dissatisfied with personally is the footer.

He also wants Flash with the header...I don't know. I maybe need to work on something different for the header that will still incorporate some type of Flash in it . Not quite sure what it will be, but anyway...

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts . I am going to look at it some more and see what else I can do with it.....

He also wants Flash with the header...I don't know. I maybe need to work on something different for the header that will still incorporate some type of Flash in it . Not quite sure what it will be, but anyway...

I'm not a fan of flashes in the header unless you do it right.  It's annoying when they click on a link and the flash reloads.  I would just have an image header and flash on the homepage.

ive never been a fan of flash in general.. i see its uses but most cases ive seen it used it just makes the user work harder to get the content. .. as a header meh im fine with it but having flash blocked you just lost your brand name..

no header the page lacks way to much so i would leave instantly you need to use flash with that in mind theres alot of people who will never see it and just see empty space

Flash is such a bizarre thing.. when it came out, everyone was going ape over it (and not to mention overdoing it.. a practice photographer websites to this day in general seem to abuse beyond belief). But once the novelty of flash wore off, it became more of a nuisance than anything else for the web users who have to confront that stuff.

I agree with the comments of using it in subtle moderation. When implemented in small doses and in a non-intrusive manner, it can work well.. Sadly, there are people who tend to think flash is the greatest thing since sliced bread and really run wild with it, unknowingly annoying their visitors and destroying the credibility of their site (not accusing the OP of this in my statement.. but rather those who don't know any better).

Ok...And I do appreciate the suggestions. Here is the thing. This is a Joomla site. So, all content is reloaded into the same template from the database. Joomla is not my specialty so maybe there is something that I don't know about it. Is there a way to have the Flash on just the home page and not on the other pages. My understanding and especially with the way that you have to incorporate Flash into Joomla, if it is on one page, then it is on all pages. If there is a way to not have the Flash header on all pages, can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Oh I see.. well, if you still don't get an answer, I would suggest doing a search in the Joomal forum for 'remove flash' or 'disable flash' or something to that effect. There is bound to be some links that discuss such matters.

Traditionally, you would see something like:

<embed 
  src="player.swf" 
  width="300"
  height="300"
  allowscriptaccess="always"
  allowfullscreen="true"
/>

or something to that effect in the html code to embed flash (in other words, using the <embed> tag). There may also be variances that involve wrapping everything in an <object> tag. But there are known issues with our favorite browser, IE (notice my sarcasm when I mention favorite)...

So there are some more modern versions that use something to the effect of:

<script type="text/javascript">
AC_FL_RunContent( 'codebase','http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=4,0,0,0','width','xx','height','xx','src','whatever.swf','quality','high','pluginspage','http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer','movie','whatever' ); //end AC code
</script>

Stuff like that is supposed to be more IE safe..using that last method requires a special javascript in the head tag called AC_RunActiveContent.js.. so perhaps it is something along those lines in your joomla code?

Other than that, I am at a loss..

There is a problem in the COLOR violet and green seems not to fit well and a bit worried with your photos in the right!

Corbis has a lot of royalty free!

The curve in the footer..... its not symmetrically correct!

The login together with the account links, should be on the top so that it can be noticed by the members!

The website is confusing. It is inconsistent - the left hand navigation is boxy at the top but has nice smooth corners on the bottom. The footer's corners are curved. The colors differ. The color in the header should match the color used in the background or the color used in the navigation. The pictures should align in the same line together. Otherwise they seem like the were slopped on somewhere. It is hard to distinguish links from normal text. The links are bolded, but they should either be underlined or a different color. The website isn't too bad, but it's not professional.  :-\

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.