3 replies to this topic

#1 1337coder2006

1337coder2006
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:17 AM

Hello, nice site.

I am trying to create a class or a function (if its possible) that can have an unknown number of arguments. I've searched google/various forums and i have found nothing, can anyone point me to a good tutorial on this?

I should probably just keep it simple and pass the arguments as an array, but it would be nice to know how to do this.

#2 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:21 AM

polymorphism is the keyword you want to use in your search.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#3 1337coder2006

1337coder2006
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:30 AM

[!--quoteo(post=388004:date=Jun 26 2006, 04:21 AM:name=Crayon Violent)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Crayon Violent @ Jun 26 2006, 04:21 AM) View Post[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
polymorphism is the keyword you want to use in your search.
[/quote]

i did a search on that but it led me to a tutorial on object overloading, i'll try again, thank you.

Also, I think the solution I'm looking for is just to use func_get_args which will return the function arguments in an array.

#4 trq

trq
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 31,041 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:40 PM

function test() {
  $argscount = func_num_args();
  $args = func_get_args();
  for ($i = 0;$i < $argscount;$i++) {
    echo "you passed in {$arg[$i]} as argument $i\n";
  }