MySQL send and get data

foreverhex

I've been trying to work out a script for a photo upload and I have all that down. What happens is you up load a photo it goes inside the photo folder and info is popped in the data base: Username, photo url, medium, date submitted and description. My question is how do I retrieve info from the database using something like:

www.site.com/view.php?user=foreverhex&id=myfirstpic.jpg

so that I can place my varibles in and the page will have all the info.

[!--quoteo(post=388077:date=Jun 26 2006, 10:55 AM:name=foreverhex)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(foreverhex @ Jun 26 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]388077[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I've been trying to work out a script for a photo upload and I have all that down. What happens is you up load a photo it goes inside the photo folder and info is popped in the data base: Username, photo url, medium, date submitted and description. My question is how do I retrieve info from the database using something like:

www.site.com/view.php?user=foreverhex&id=myfirstpic.jpg

so that I can place my varibles in and the page will have all the info.
[/quote]
Sounds reasonable... you simply need to pass enough informtion on the query string for your view.php function to retrieve the desired result set. You would probably be better off with a uid= instead of actually passing the name of the file, so that you never end up with broken links / bookmarks.

[!--quoteo(post=388092:date=Jun 26 2006, 11:32 AM:name=fenway)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(fenway @ Jun 26 2006, 11:32 AM) [snapback]388092[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Sounds reasonable... you simply need to pass enough informtion on the query string for your view.php function to retrieve the desired result set. You would probably be better off with a uid= instead of actually passing the name of the file, so that you never end up with broken links / bookmarks.
[/quote]

What do you mean by an uid? Im kinda new to php (working with it actively for 6months) and even newer to SQL.

[!--quoteo(post=388134:date=Jun 26 2006, 01:23 PM:name=foreverhex)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(foreverhex @ Jun 26 2006, 01:23 PM) [snapback]388134[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
What do you mean by an uid? Im kinda new to php (working with it actively for 6months) and even newer to SQL.
[/quote]
I mean I'm assuming that your table has a unique identifier (UID) auto-increment column that allows you to uniquely identify each row, regardless of the name of the actual file in each row.

[!--quoteo(post=388147:date=Jun 26 2006, 01:50 PM:name=fenway)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(fenway @ Jun 26 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]388147[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I mean I'm assuming that your table has a unique identifier (UID) auto-increment column that allows you to uniquely identify each row, regardless of the name of the actual file in each row.
[/quote]
Ah! I see where you're going with that. So in my photo sql table i can have a row called id and have it count up depending on the art. For ex: view.php?user=foreverhex&id=1 or id=2 the 1 (or 2)would be the first pic added so the id would pop over to the photos url during the query?

[!--quoteo(post=388168:date=Jun 26 2006, 02:53 PM:name=foreverhex)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(foreverhex @ Jun 26 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]388168[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Ah! I see where you're going with that. So in my photo sql table i can have a row called id and have it count up depending on the art. For ex: view.php?user=foreverhex&id=1 or id=2 the 1 (or 2)would be the first pic added so the id would pop over to the photos url during the query?
[/quote]
That's right -- you'd have an auto-increment column for that very purpose.

[!--quoteo(post=388177:date=Jun 26 2006, 03:22 PM:name=fenway)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(fenway @ Jun 26 2006, 03:22 PM) [snapback]388177[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
That's right -- you'd have an auto-increment column for that very purpose.
[/quote]
Thanks for your help. i find it easier to figure things out when I talk or type about them. Thx.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.