"file" storage comparison: which is best?

alexweber15

(note to mods: despite mentioning sqlite as an alternative this doesn't quite qualify as a RDBMS thread so i posted here)

I'm looking for a file-based alternative to store small amounts of data (1 table, 2-10 columns, couple thousand entries MAX and most likely reside in the hundreds)

My options are:

- FlatFile

- XML

- JSON

Or maybe even:

- Sqlite

- Firebird

Basically I'm aiming for ease of distributions... I've read up a bit on the sqlite vs json vs xml debate and it only really added fuel to the fire....

Can anyone shed some light (from personal experience preferably) on the following aspects:

- Speed (and whether the difference between one or another is negligible)

- Ease of use (install, setup, GO!)

- Scalability (can it handle hundreds?  what about thousands?  or even more?)

- The only thing I'm pretty sure of is that JSON is not the best choice (more suited for small amounts of data; AJAX stuff)

- XML + XPath could be powerful but how does it rank against sqlite?

- I'd never heard of "FlatFile" before but it seems robust.

- Sqlite is intriguing heard a lot about but never used it.

- Firebird just occured to me as I was writing this post (afaik its a similar concept as sqlite)

thanks for any and all info!

i realize its hard to pick "THE BEST" but I'd like to hear some personal experiences if you have them and also recommendations and suggestions! :)

ps - i'm not ruling out MySQL at all - i just want an alternative for a "lite distribution"

SQLite

SQLite is a software library that implements a self-contained, serverless, zero-configuration, transactional SQL database engine.

transactional SQL, no server, no config... can you really go wrong? ;)

and firefox uses it which automatically makes it even cooler  ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.