Email verification

johnnyk

You know how when someone submits their email address for something you should send them a verification email with a code or whatever? I think I understand how [i]that[/i] works. Something like you send them an email with a uniqid() and store that uniqid() in your db with their email and then when they verify compare the email and the uniqid(), right?
Well, then what do you do about people who never verify? How would you have the row with their email and uniqid() automatically deleted? Do people use cron jobs or something to delete them after a certain amount of time has gone by?

that's what i do. when someone registers, i have a date_registered column with a timestamp. then i have an activated column with 0 for not activated, 1 for activated. then i have a cron job that runs every day or whatever interval seems decent for the project, and it deletes any row that the timestamp is older than x and activated = 0

[!--quoteo(post=388224:date=Jun 26 2006, 09:45 PM:name=JohnnyK)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(JohnnyK @ Jun 26 2006, 09:45 PM) [snapback]388224[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
How do you run the cron jobs? I know my host lets me set them up but I think they only let it run once a week. Is there any other way to set one up?
[/quote]

If you search on here there are meny other php programs that are as good as the cron job search.

you might be lucky to get a 3rd party gpl code to work in place of the one your host uses.

good luck.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.