[SOLVED] Suggestions for compiling ANSI C under Windows

GingerRobot

Edit: That's embarrassing. Meant to post under Misc :s. Can someone move this for me?

Ok, so i'm banging my head against the wall here. I'm having real troubles finding a way to compile c programs under windows on a friend's machine. I generally develop in linux but do have Bloodshed Dev-C++ installed in windows should I need it.

A friend of mine isn't exactly computer minded, but part of her engineering mathematics course included c programming. She wanted to be able to try some of the programming at home, but whatever I try, i can't get anything to compile. I used the exact same installer for Dev C++ as is on my laptop, but got error messages(first, gcc couldn't find cc1 - whatever that means. After finding an apparent fix for that, it attempted to compile but with a load of errors in stdio.h - go figure)

Since, i've tried all sorts of things. Under an academic license we can install Visual Studio for free, so I tried that but it's bloody confusing. I couldn't work out what the hell it was using to compile and it was all a bit over the top. Tried a couple of gcc ports, but to no avail. MinGW (which our department recommends) started to download the installer then fell over - looks like a problem with the sourceforge website. Tried a different one, gcw, which looks decidedly incomplete.

So, long story short, any suggestions? Do you guys use anything in particular?

I had that exact problem with Dev-C++ once!  Don't remember how I fixed it though x.x.  Have you tried installing it somewhere else?  Oh, and by the way, when it says no spaces in the file path, it really means it.  Doubt that's it, but worth noting.

What was wrong with Visual Studio?  Over the top???

I would just try entirely uninstalling Dev-C++ and reinstalling.  Or, I would try a different version or something.

(Hrmmm wow this post didn't help at all.)

What was wrong with Visual Studio?  Over the top???

Yep. Ridiculously confusing. And i couldn't work out what, if any, standard was being used when the program was compiled .

I would just try entirely uninstalling Dev-C++ and reinstalling.  Or, I would try a different version or something.

Tried that. Quite a few times :s

Does Cygwin have gcc?

Yeah, it looks like it's optional. Is Cygwin easy to use? I've no experience with it at all.

I use Visual C++ on occasion, and I don't have problems with it being unfriendly....  Although, I have had to get into the shell more than a couple times to get include paths and what not like I want them.  By the way, the compiler it uses is cl.exe, no idea if that's ANSI standard or not.  (That might actually be the C++ one, don't remember.)

Oh, if you compile something under Cygwin, it will be dependent on the Cygwin environment, since it is linked against its libraries.  (Cygwin.dll and so on.)

Also, if this class is based around Windows, Cygwin would probably cause her more problems than help.  Then again, I guess anything built under Cygwin should be Windows compatible too if it doesn't need any Cygwin specific libraries (the linux ones it emulates).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.