a few important questions before I download MS SQL

sp00ks

Hey everyone,  I'm going to be downloading a version of MS SQL(thinking 2005?)

I have MySQL(wamp, so apache as well) on my computer right now, and was wondering if its okay to have them both on one computer, do i have to install another server for MS SQL or will apache work? 

I haven't really used MS SQL since school(i've used access and oracle as well), but many jobs are looking for this skill. so I was wondering how it compares to mySQL? and if there is a really great book or website which best describes its functions in detail.

I'm also wondering what version of MS SQL 2005 or 2008, and what edition, express, etc. (free would be the best, as I'm just updating my skills) I should get?  (I know MS SQL is new, but employers are still looking for 2005 experience, would not knowing 2005 and knowing 2008 make a huge difference?)

I will be using MS SQL with ASP.Net, but wondering how well it works with PHP, can I call the database the same way as I did with MYSQL?

sorry for all the confusing questions, any extra information would be excellent!

thanks!

MSSQL does not interfere with Apache, MySQL, PHP or anything (shouldn't anyway).  (However, if you plan on running Apache and IIS together [iIS being used to run ASP code], you will need to make one of them listen on a port besides 80.)

I had MSSQL 2000 and MSSQL 2005 installed until last night.  My MSSQL 2000 trial ran out (I had been using MSSQL for a specific project that required 2000), so I just uninstalled it, and while I was at it, I got rid of 2005.  Right now I'm running MSSQL 2008.  I'm personally running MSSQL 2008 Express since I don't have a ton of extra money laying around.  Also, since I just test things locally the 1GB RAM limit and 4GB DB data limits are fine for me.

You could always just get MSSQL 2006 and 2008 ;p.  As far as the actual SQL statements go, there is not much difference inbetween the two, and pretty much everything in 2005 is in 2008, but everything in 2008 isn't in 05.  I don't think there are many big differences.  I remember a huge difference (to me anyway), used to be that MSSQL 2000 doesn't have a LIMIT clause, and MSSQL 2005 does.  I don't know if there are any differences in 05/08 like that which that could cause code to break.  I'm sure MSSQL 2008 has some stored procedures 2008 doesn't also.

The actual control environments seem very similar to me, and in the big scheme of things, that shouldn't affect much  anyway.

"I will be using MS SQL with ASP.Net, but wondering how well it works with PHP, can I call the database the same way as I did with MYSQL?"

I actually have never used MSSQL with ASP.Net, but I've used it extensively in PHP ;p.  Under windows, the mssql_connect, mssql_query, so on functions are very similar to the mysql_* equivalents.  (I think it's provided through overlaying ODBC or something.)  Under a non-Windows OS, freetds has to be used when compiling PHP with MSSQL support, since it is not natively supported.  (I won't elaborate unless you plan on connecting linux -> MSSQL or something.)

Anyway, that should answer most of your question.

thank you so much! you answered all my questions. Though I have two more now.. heh...

IIS? that would be the server, like apache?

and with MS SQL 2008 express I can do everything as the retail version, but with storage restriction of 1gm ram and 4 gb data.  Can i create views, procedures and triggers still?

thanks!

http://www.microsoft.com/express/sql/default.aspx

As far as I know, the express edition is just like the full version except with those restrictions.  Also, I think the express edition is limited to either 1 processor or 1 core, don't remember (leaning towards 1 processor).

IIS is a webserver.  It natively support ASP, whereas Apache, as far as I know, has no decent support for ASP.  There are a few Apache modules that provide a little support for parsing ASP, but they are all incomplete as far as I know.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.