Collation Problem

Isoss

I have mysql 5 client and server installed on my ubuntu linux system.

I have just inserted the first chapter of genesis into the database using SQL in phpmyadmin. Data are shown correctly with phpmyadmin, but when I retrieve the data with PHP data appear like ????? in the webpage.
Althought I have set the charset to windows-1256 using this PHP script:
[code]
<?php
mysql_connect("localhost","root","") or die ("error");
mysql_select_db("ecacsyr") or die ("error");
header('Content-Type: text/html; charset=windows-1256');
header('Content-Language: ar');
?>
<html dir="rtl">
<head>
</head>
<body>
<?php
$sql = "select * from `arabicbible`";
$result = mysql_query($sql);
echo "الكتاب المقدس<br><br>سفر التكوين<br><br>الاصحاح الأول<br><br>";
while ($record = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))
{
    echo "<b>".$record['nid']." ".$record['verse']."</b><br>";
}
?>
</body>
</html>
[/code]
And this is how it displays my data:
[img src=\"http://nourelalam.org/Isos/bible.png\" border=\"0\" alt=\"IPB Image\" /]

As you can see, data appear as ???? while other characters written in HTML they appear in arabic as they should.

So I have set the collation to cp1256_general_ci for the database, the table and the verse field which contains the arabic text.

Have a look at my phpmyadmin:
[img src=\"http://nourelalam.org/Isos/genesis.phpmyadmin.png\" border=\"0\" alt=\"IPB Image\" /]

Please help!

I've never faced any problem with the collations before untill I upgraded to mysql5! before I never had to set any collation or work with anything related to charset in mysql ... phpmyadmin of my web host server doesn't have this problem at all! ... but I don't know why phpmyadmin gives this option on my localhost ... This is bugging me! and the strange thing is that when I removed mysql 5 completely from my system and reinstalled apache2 with the previous version of mysql and php4 and phpmyadmin and the problem remained! I don't really understand the mechanism of these web applications .. I just know php programming! So please somebody help!

Come on ppl, I don't think such a problem is difficult for phpfreaks!! ... belive me 5 minutes of your precious time can save a lotta ppl suffering from the same problem! cuz I have googled arround and all I found are some ppl addressing the porblem just like me and getting no solution or response!!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.