[SOLVED] Probably the easiest question ever...

Alexhoward

Hi Guys

Bit embarrassed to ask this but...

I’m creating a web page in 800 X 600, and I’d like to add an extra column each side that will fill the remained of the screen when view on a higher resolution.

At the moment I have a table with 3 columns set at 100%, the centre column is set at 800px

However I would like the outside 2 to shrink down to nothing when viewed on 800 X 600, and expand to whatever when viewed on a higher resolution, but this doesn’t seem to be happening

Could someone please tell me where I’m going wrong…

Thanks!!

supposes it's html....

but this forum has been such a great help in the past i thought i'd ask here again..

say you had :

<table width="100%">
<tr>
<td></td>
<td width="800"></td>
<td></td>
</tr>
</table>

i would like to only show the centre column on a resolution of 800 X 600, and the other two to start coming in on a higher resolution...

but this doesn't seem to work...

I think that the film god is wrong on this one.

Design your site at 8x6, center the site (i assume it is centered), in your css, create an image that is repeated in the background

body{

background: transparent url('/image/to/repeat.jpg') top center repeat-y;

}

I think that the film god is wrong on this one.

Design your site at 8x6, center the site (i assume it is centered), in your css, create an image that is repeated in the background

body{

background: transparent url('/image/to/repeat.jpg') top center repeat-y;

}

That would work IF a background image on the left and right hand side would suffice. If he wants actual content (he mentioned something about tables here and there) then you need to use php.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for replying! apologies that i've only just managed to get back to the forum.

I got it working by creating a 1px wide image, and stretching it by 100%.  The problem seemed to be that html will stretch an image beond it's original size, but will not shrink it any lower.

thanks again for your help!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.