Windows 7

The Little Guy

I believe the structure of linux and how it handles thing in general is more secure.

Indeed it is. Without going into any great detail its mostly to do with the way processes are isolated from each other.

That's not to say that I don't agree with CV to some extent. I don't think virusus could ever become as prevalent within an open development and distribution environment as they have become in the closed source world. Firstly, they'll get found out much quicker and secondly because there's no point in trying to steal pirated copies of free software (which as CV pointed out is one of the major causes of virus).

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I was reading more about "Windows 7", I was wondering... Is this going to be an update for vista users, or will I have to go out to the store and buy it?

I would assume since it is a "New" OS, that I would have to buy it, but it also seems just like updates to Vista, which would make it sound like Vista users will have to option to upgrade for free.

Then apple should never charge for their OS. Nothing dramatic has really changed since OS 10.2.  There are certainly improvements with each version but the core OS remains the same, and you don't get any breaks when upgrading to a newer version. 

Microsoft will charge you for the full OS, but they may also have an upgrade version because they are basing everything off of the vista core.  If you read the article I posted the new focus is the user interface which is really what people complained most about with vista.

From something I also read previously, Microsoft is going to make the OS more modular. Instead of having six different versions of the same OS (eg., home, home premium, business, ultimate, etc), there will will be options that you can purchase to add on functionality.  I think this is both good and bad but we'll have to see where they go with it.  They are pushing for this 'windows live' family and really trying to compete with google.  I think that same article stated that they plan to put some online versions of office up to compete.  I don't get it, I'll always want my software locally installed, but I guess others like online tools.

Well I don't think it's so much of a preference for online tools as a preference for portability.  People like having access to the same stuff, setups, etc... no matter where they are.  I have a feeling average Joe user doesn't really care if that involves everything being "online" on a 3rd party server, or if that involves being able to "dial in" to their computer at home from wherever.  Average Joe user doesn't care what goes on "behind the scenes;" they just want to be UI savvy.

I mean, that's why laptops are so popular.  And that's why smaller gadgets like blackberries are even more popular.  And that's why cellphones have been steadily shifting to more than just being a cellphone.  People want all the UI and functionality of a computer but be able to not be planted at some desk.  So far, the best way to do that is to keep all the meat and bones on a server and pass out dummy terminals.

viruses are ment to target the popular os.

Although, there aren't many people out there trying to code linux viruses.

Really? Did you read my post? I am saying there are hardly any viruses for Linux because it is not popular and not a lot of peeps use, and the peeps who do, are some what computer savvy. Why write a virus for a unpopular o\s when hardly anyone uses it?

Really? Did you read my post? I am saying there are hardly any viruses for Linux because it is not popular and not a lot of peeps use, and the peeps who do, are some what computer savvy. Why write a virus for a unpopular o\s when hardly anyone uses it?

I wasn't saying anything different than what you said.  The although was aimed at my own statement.

???

Transferring everything to a remote server (software/files/etc.), could allow for computer manufactures to only have to place a 5GB HD (or less) in every computer! Wouldn't that be fun! You would never have to save anything on your own computer! But the remote server better not have any HD failures, otherwise they better have my backup!

lol, oh sorry.

I wasn't saying anything different than what you said.  The although was aimed at my own statement.

???

Transferring everything to a remote server (software/files/etc.), could allow for computer manufactures to only have to place a 5GB HD (or less) in every computer! Wouldn't that be fun! You would never have to save anything on your own computer! But the remote server better not have any HD failures, otherwise they better have my backup!

Imagine all the bandwidth costs.....

lol, oh sorry.

???

Huh?

What? No more than current bandwidth costs.  I imagine different companies will offer their own services and lists of programs and features.  You wouldn't really do anything as far as installing new stuff.  You just login and go about your business on their server(s).  Goal will ultimately be for the user to not have to install or maintain anything whatsoever. 

What? No more than current bandwidth costs.  I imagine different companies will offer their own services and lists of programs and features.  You wouldn't really do anything as far as installing new stuff.  You just login and go about your business on their server(s).  Goal will ultimately be for the user to not have to install or maintain anything whatsoever. 

That would suck! No more pirating software :(

I don't trust people enough that I'll rely completely on third-parties to watch over my data. I'd like to store it myself, thank you very much :)

Well you won't have a choice, eventually.  Microsoft, Google, and all those other companies are making things like this a reality.  Music industries, Movie industries, and virtually all software companies also have a vested interest in a system like this, because it will very significantly reduce piracy.  It will also significantly reduce viruses.  Virtually everybody who's anybody with money will be throwing their resources into it. 

Most companies have tried their best to make software and hardware backwards compatible for like 99% of everything that's come out, so far.  I guarantee you that this new phase of technology will change that trend of taking care of our senior silicons. People will start pulling the plug on backwards compatibility, citing virus and piracy protection.  And then your standalone computers will be just like your grandpa*, sitting in the rocking chair providing endless hours of nostalgia and funny little tricks like "Grep your nose" or "Pull a quarter from your cache," but functionally being useless to the W[WW] at large.

Until AI takes over.  Then grandpa is gonna rip off his shirt and you'll see he's still ripped, and he's gonna tie a bandanna around his head and bust out with his .50 caliber machine gun and he's gonna kick ass and take names, because resistance is NOT futile.  Go team grandpa!

*Ahem: Grandpa is a multi-level metaphor. It not only represents future obsolete technology, but  also all of us geeks who will desperately cling to it,  while shaking angry fist at the shinies of tomorrow.  It's one of those circle of life, getting older things.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.