Windows 7

The Little Guy

Most people could who don't use Windows/Mac could build their own computer.  I guess it's ridiculous that those people have to do so though.

If they don't want to pay for the OS they probably don't want to pay for Dell's name (or whatever company) and their 'Excellent 1-year included service'.  And if you don't care about all that stuff then what's wrong with building your own?  You save money in every aspect usually.  You also avoid any proprietary issues.  Dell has had a history with selling Dell only parts.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people could who don't use Windows/Mac could build their own computer.

That's not the point. I think the problem is that people do not know they have choices. Preinstalling Windows on virtually all stock computers is the primary thing that helps withhold Microsoft's monopoly. This is exactly the same as those people who think that Internet Explorer is "the internet". If there is nothing on the computer from the start then they're forced to research which options they have.

That's not the point. I think the problem is that people do not know they have choices. Preinstalling Windows on virtually all stock computers is the primary thing that helps withhold Microsoft's monopoly. This is exactly the same as those people who think that Internet Explorer is "the internet". If there is nothing on the computer from the start then they're forced to research which options they have.

To be honest there aren't many options to research. You are either a mac fan and buy their overpriced hardware, a windows user that has just grown used to the OS, or a more crafty user using a *nix distro.  The typical home user will probably only choose windows or mac.  I still think linux has a long way to go before "regular" home users will give it a try.

To be honest there aren't many options to research. You are either a mac fan and buy their overpriced hardware, a windows user that has just grown used to the OS, or a more crafty user using a *nix distro.  The typical home user will probably only choose windows or mac.  I still think linux has a long way to go before "regular" home users will give it a try.

The mac is a very good OS and PC with great functionality, windows is more of a home thing

I have a couple of Mac fans friends in real life, and we've discussed Windows v Mac a few times....  That's something that has always amused me.  Mac is like buying a 500 dollar computer and a 500 dollar OS.  Their shiny white laptop cases are expensive.

"If there is nothing on the computer from the start then they're forced to research which options they have."

Every computer made would have to come with nothing on it then, or else people would just over buy the few computers that did.  You think the average computer user wants to waste his/her time installing Windows/Mac/linux?

I don't like buying stuff online.  There's usually always shipping costs to pay.  Then you have to sit around and wait forever for it (I'm very big on instant gratification when it comes to buying). Then you have to worry about whether the right thing was shipped and it's not somehow broken or damaged, and then jump through a million hoops if it is - assuming they don't just screw you on it.  I don't get to haggle with some dude over price or convince him to throw in a little something extra in exchange for stroking his ego a bit.  Or flirt down the price if it's a girl, cuz I am such a lady's man. 

So yeah, everything I can do online, I want to be able to do it on site, in a store.  Ram, motherboard, power source, hard drive, graphics cards, other cards, go up and down the software isle and have him install what I throw in the basket, including OS - Basically I want to be able to go down to Buy More and have Chuck build me a computer from scratch right there on the spot. 

TBF, many people are moving away from windows in the Home.  Including older people.  My aunt/uncle have Ubuntu, my friends grandparents use Ubuntu, and I've set a couple family friends up with Ubuntu.  Not to mention that at walmart you can now get a free Ubuntu cd, which sits right next to the Windows Vista display.  Now I know Ubuntu isn't the BEST, but it is a move towards better things

Stopped upgrading Windows after XP. Nothing about Vista makes me want to use it and the constant security popups when you try to do anything are just annoying. No reason to get excited about another release. As long as I have a web browser and copy of Dreamweaver running i'm happy.

Windows will soon be a thing of the past along with its desktop apps with PCs becoming thin clients running apps via web services. Just look at Googles beta programs, you have spreadsheets, word processing, email, organiser, maps, photo sharing, web browser and so on. Windows will be out the window!

Stopped upgrading Windows after XP. Nothing about Vista makes me want to use it and the constant security popups when you try to do anything are just annoying. No reason to get excited about another release. As long as I have a web browser and copy of Dreamweaver running i'm happy.

Windows will soon be a thing of the past along with its desktop apps with PCs becoming thin clients running apps via web services. Just look at Googles beta programs, you have spreadsheets, word processing, email, organiser, maps, photo sharing, web browser and so on. Windows will be out the window!

I disagree, the software market is what will ultimately keep windows alive. Microsoft office alone will continue to dominate the market for office apps.

[...] and the constant security popups when you try to do anything are just annoying.

You obviously haven't used it, not for very long at least. Once you've got your system setup then you shouldn't see the UAC confirmation boxes very often. Even then, you can just disable it if you don't like it. The UAC argument is completely invalid.

Didn't they laugh at Nouriel Roubini when he said the global economy would collapse?

Trust me Windows and Microsoft desktop products are coming to end of their lifespan!

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3730534.ece

Reeealllly???  Okay,  what's going to replace them?  Linux?  Mac? I highly doubt that Windows will come to an end very soon. Even if Google plans to release its own OS, which they have talked about doing,  it might take YEARS for Google to push M$ out of the market.  I honestly don't see it happening unless M$ goes bankrupt or Bill Gates dies and the company just crumbles after his death.

Didn't they laugh at Nouriel Roubini when he said the global economy would collapse?

Trust me Windows and Microsoft desktop products are coming to end of their lifespan!

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3730534.ece

That's pretty easy to predict. No company will last forever. Windows will be gone eventually and so will OS X and GNU/Linux... eventually. Then the "smart" people can jump in and say "I told you so".

Reeealllly???  Okay,  what's going to replace them?

There will be no OS on your computers hard disk. PCs will be thin client and apps will run as and when you need them via web services.

Your argument is stating that the applications will die, not the OS. A thin client still connects to an OS of some sort, and there must still be some hardware interaction.

Reeealllly???  Okay,  what's going to replace them?

There will be no OS on your computers hard disk. PCs will be thin client and apps will run as and when you need them via web services.

So what if you cannot get a working internet connection and you really really need that super important report ASAP?

Depends how you read into it. The OS will essentially become a bit of disk space on a central terminal running web service apps as and when you need them. If you use Microsoft products think of Terminal Server, apps and the OS do not run on your standalone PC. This cuts out the need to upgrade your OS and apps entirely.

The problem with Windows is that when users upgrade to a new version it takes an awful long time for the surrounding environments to adjust, i.e. the web applications that you run and the desktop applications that you run. The number of compatibility issues encountered really is starting to mean the cost of upgrades is massive in time spent adding updates and patches to existing apps. People are thinking really about joe blogs with his home computer. A new OS may seem exciting to play about with but for businesses running hundreds or thousands of PCs moving to a new OS can be a very daunting experience especially when they run many applications that just become unusable. The OS as people see it now does not fit into the constantly moving web based technologies and a change is needed.

Somewhere there will have to exist an OS.  There is no guarantee that that will be  M$ OS, but I highly doubt that M$ will drop its foothold in the near future.  They have to much going for them, apart from Windows.  Granted most of their software depends on Windows, but I don't see that being a problem for the guys at M$. 

TBF, many people are moving away from windows in the Home.  Including older people.  My aunt/uncle have Ubuntu, my friends grandparents use Ubuntu, and I've set a couple family friends up with Ubuntu.  Not to mention that at walmart you can now get a free Ubuntu cd, which sits right next to the Windows Vista display.  Now I know Ubuntu isn't the BEST, but it is a move towards better things

dont you feel u have disabled them from progressing as there childeren will not be able to install the things they need and therfore u have destroyed an entire generation ?

dont you feel u have disabled them from progressing as there childeren will not be able to install the things they need and therfore u have destroyed an entire generation ?

That doesn't make sense... ???

That doesn't make sense... ???

Ubuntu: Destroyer of Worlds.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.