Windows 7

The Little Guy

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reeealllly???  Okay,  what's going to replace them?

There will be no OS on your computers hard disk. PCs will be thin client and apps will run as and when you need them via web services.

So what if you cannot get a working internet connection and you really really need that super important report ASAP?

I think internet will be a standard thing to have around in the future as well.  Eventually all cell phones will have internet on (for example) a 3g network.  So if you need that report asap you can connect your laptop wirelessly to your phone and use it's internet, or borrow a buddies.

If you needed to make an emergency phone call chances are there's somebody around you willing to let you borrow their phone.  That wasn't like that before cell phones, but has since become a standard.  Soon internet will be available pretty much any time you need it.

I have found the righteous path of linux! I still use windows, but only as a VM on my pc! :D

I think it would really change peoples options, if Microsoft decided to create an operating system based off of the Linux kernel! That also supports exe's! That would be the ultimate operating system! They must make it free though, because that would go against what Linux is really about! They could take a little from Debian!

I think eventually most computers will just be dummy terminals, little more than a keyb/mouse/monitor, hooked up to the "internet."  Or maybe VR gloves and eyewear.  Or just hook a wire directly into your brain from some wall socket.  Humans will plug in and become like individual brain cells to make up AI.

I think eventually most computers will just be dummy terminals, little more than a keyb/mouse/monitor, hooked up to the "internet."  Or maybe VR gloves and eyewear.   Or just hook a wire directly into your brain from some wall socket.  Humans will plug in and become like individual brain cells to make up AI.

Matrix?

I hope not, I like to have total access to my computer.

I've been a windows user since before 95. I've dealt with reinstalls, viruses, spyware detection/prevention etc. I got a mac in Feb and have been using in exclusively since. I go back to my windows machine every once in a while and about two months ago it had the nastiest virus. How? I dont know, I dont use it much.

I dont understand how anyone can deal with that. Do people not see a problem with virus protection being a prerequisite to running your computer? Im not saying that OS X is the answer, but it sure is a better option. Why do people torture themselves? Two years ago I would have formatted and reinstalled windows, because I cannot get rid of the virus, it changed my desktop bkg as a vista window saying that i need virus protection and I cannot change it. Long story short, Im going to back my data up and install *buntu, probably the kde version.

Fuck windows.

I have found the righteous path of linux! I still use windows, but only as a VM on my pc! :D

I think it would really change peoples options, if Microsoft decided to create an operating system based off of the Linux kernel! That also supports exe's! That would be the ultimate operating system! They must make it free though, because that would go against what Linux is really about! They could take a little from Debian!

My vmware install has a virus. Dude I swear that I know how to use a windows computer, but somehow they still get me.

My vmware install has a virus. Dude I swear that I know how to use a windows computer, but somehow they still get me.

If you are going to run Windows, you must have a anti-virus installed. When I first boot up after a clean install, I always install Norton's.

Okay let's be fair though.  Most computers are running a Windows OS.  By a large margin.  Which also means that most software is written for Windows.  A lot of companies only write software for Windows, because Windows is the main OS.  As mentioned, it's the de facto standard that comes with anything you can buy prefab "Off the shelf."  And for good measure, let's throw in the fact that it seems to be a common running joke that Microsoft is evil and Bill Gates is the anti-christ. 

If you have 100 machines and 90 of them are Windows based and 10 of them are not and you still further break those 10 down to other OS's, of course Windows will have the higher incidents of problems - because they have more computers.  No matter what the OS is, it was made by humans, just the same.  We just don't hear about the " Little guys' " problems as much as Windows, because they are littler.  And that's not even considering how many people pick on Windows (through critique or cracking), solely because they look at Microsoft and think they see 666. 

Tell you what, let's do an exercise. Get a big bag of skittles.  Let's assign some things to the different colors:

red = viruses

yellow = haters

Pull out 10 pieces of skittles from your bag and put it into one pile.  Now pull out 90 pieces and put it into another pile.  Count up how many reds and yellows there are in each pile.  While it is possible that pile 1 could have all reds, all yellows, or all reds and yellows, while pile 2 has no reds or yellows, it is very unlikely.  What is very likely, in fact, the most likely by a huge margin, is that pile 2 will have a lot more reds and yellows than pile 1.  Why? Because there's simply more skittles in pile 2. 

And that's just looking at it from a purely random perspective.  That's not even throwing into the mix how many people unfairly bash and hate on Microsoft, simply because it's the cool thing to do.  It stands to reason that out of all those crackers and script kiddies out there, a good chunk of them will also be inclined to target Microsoft products.  If I were some dude out there setting out to prove the size of my e-peen by writing some virus or finding some exploit in something, I would go for getting the most bang for my buck.  That's the logical thing to do.  And that means targeting windows, because there's more of them out there.  And they're the devil. 

Now, I'm not necessarily saying Windows is some awesome thing.  And I'm not saying that you shouldn't get anti-virus software or firewalls or whatever else.  I'm just saying, don't make it out like Windows is some evil piece of crap garbage and the world would be a better place if <insert OS of your choice> were king of the hill, because if it were <insert OS of your choice> dominating the market, anti-virus software and firewalls would be the standard, just the same as it is with Windows now, and the devil would be wearing a red hat instead of glasses. 

And p.s.- It's been my experience from tech supporting and talking to friends that most people end up getting viruses, keylogged, etc.. by going to shady places and doing shady things in the first place.  Stop trying to pirate things or look at the pron and I guarantee you that 99% of your "Windows" issues will go away.

CV, the hypothesis that Windows has more holes because it indeed is more insecure is just as valid as your hypothesis that it has more holes because it's a more popular target. However, both of these hypotheses are incredibly difficult to verify. I do agree though, many problems arise because People Are Stupidâ„¢.

I do not disagree that Windows could indeed have more holes.  I'm just saying that When you are dealing with something on a much larger scale, problems and exploits are scaled up, as well.  If you have a network of 10 computers, 9 Windows and 1 linux, and the linux box has one security hole and the Windows boxes has one security hole, A lot more damage can be done by targeting the Windows' hole.  Even if the linux box has 5 holes and Windows only one, you would still do more damage by exploiting the 9 computers with 1 hole.  Of course, it depends on what the exploits are and what role the computers are playing in the network, but the potential is there, and therefore logically that's what's targeted. 

I've been a windows user since before 95. I've dealt with reinstalls, viruses, spyware detection/prevention etc. I got a mac in Feb and have been using in exclusively since. I go back to my windows machine every once in a while and about two months ago it had the nastiest virus. How? I dont know, I dont use it much.

I dont understand how anyone can deal with that. Do people not see a problem with virus protection being a prerequisite to running your computer? Im not saying that OS X is the answer, but it sure is a better option. Why do people torture themselves? Two years ago I would have formatted and reinstalled windows, because I cannot get rid of the virus, it changed my desktop bkg as a vista window saying that i need virus protection and I cannot change it. Long story short, Im going to back my data up and install *buntu, probably the kde version.

Fuck windows.

you should try active disk image from download.com 24£ and make 2 partitions one with ur image

As I was reading more about "Windows 7", I was wondering... Is this going to be an update for vista users, or will I have to go out to the store and buy it?

I would assume since it is a "New" OS, that I would have to buy it, but it also seems just like updates to Vista, which would make it sound like Vista users will have to option to upgrade for free.

Crayon Violent is right. I have thought about this for a long time. If Linux was as popular as windows, then you would complain that Linux is more insecure, because viruses are ment to target the popular os. I do think Linux is more stable, and requires less hardware than Windows, but I sill have to Windows, and because of its popularity, I have to use programs only written for Windows.

As I was reading more about "Windows 7", I was wondering... Is this going to be an update for vista users, or will I have to go out to the store and buy it?

I would assume since it is a "New" OS, that I would have to buy it, but it also seems just like updates to Vista, which would make it sound like Vista users will have to option to upgrade for free.

I'm sure it will cost something.  Although, perhaps it won't be as expensive from Vista -> 7 than from nothing -> 7.  I heard it called Vista RC2 by some article lol.

Crayon Violent is right. I have thought about this for a long time. If Linux was as popular as windows, then you would complain that Linux is more insecure, because viruses are ment to target the popular os. I do think Linux is more stable, and requires less hardware than Windows, but I sill have to Windows, and because of its popularity, I have to use programs only written for Windows.

I believe the structure of linux and how it handles thing in general is more secure.  That could also be part of the reason for lack of viruses.  Although, there aren't many people out there trying to code linux viruses.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.