Not Showing Current Thread Readers

I actually turned it off. We're adding a few profile fields (PHP Version, MySQL Version, and a few others possibly) and since that creates an additional JOIN in the page load, I thought I'd remove a query somewhere else. I don't personally feel that this feature is all that valuable, so I removed it. It's all about performance.

I will talk it over with the rest of the mod team and get a consensus, however.

Ah. Sorry, I wasn't trying to get anybody into "trouble" so to speak..though seeing as how your admin such and all, i don't think that really applies [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/laugh.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":laugh:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"laugh.gif\" /] I was just curious. I personally do find it convenient. I've been here long enough that I know where I'm at in the food chain of php skills, vs. other regulars here, so if I walk into a thread and see someone better than me is there, I generally walk back out in order to avoid stepping on other people's toes.

Also, with trouble shooting in general, it just seems easier to help trouble shoot a problem in an active thread if you can see who all is in there. You could post something and next thing you know well..it could get very confusing very quickly. I think that's one thing I do like about SMF - it gives you a warning if someone posted while you were in the middle of typing out a post. Now THAT would be a useful feature.

But I will also agree that it's a convenience, and far from a necessity. I'd be willing to give it up for something cooler, or for overall board efficiency. Well, that's my 2 cents, anyways, for whatever it counts towards..

Yeah, I know I've used it in the past as well. I shouldn't have removed it in the first place, but I'm concerned about speed #1 here. We have a lot of users on a lot of the time (as you may notice when we get errors about too many concurrent connections) and I want to get people on and off of the server as quickly as possible.

And as far as SMF, I think there are plans to migrate to another board, but nothing has been announced quite yet.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.