Is It Possible To Have What I Want?

DLR

Hi all.

I have a birthday list in a table and have written a script that will lookup and find those people who's birthday it is today. The PHP programme then sends off an email to each person. Now, what I would like to be able to do is have ONE email sent to "me" that lists ALL the people having a birthday today - rather than a copy of each email that is sent to the birthday person.

Here's what I have done so far:

[code]$check_birthdays = "SELECT * FROM birthdays WHERE day = $today_day AND month = $today_month";
$result = mysql_query($check_birthdays) or die(mysql_error());

if (mysql_num_rows($result) >> 0 ) {

//send email to each person who has a birthday today
        while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
            extract($row);
            birthday_wishes();
             //I have left off the code for  the function  birthday_wishes() as it works fine
        }
        // send one email with list of all people having birthday today
        birthday_list();

function birthday_list() {
global $row;
$to = "me";
$subject = "Today's birthday list";
$messagebody = "The following clients have birthdays today, " . date('d/F/Y') . " <p> " . print_r($result);[/code]

The print_r($result) gives something like Resource ID#4 as opposed to a list of names etc.

I have left off the rest of the email code as it works fine too.

Any suggestions?

Hi,
Yes it does echo onto the email. But all I get is " The following clients have birthdays today" and the date - their actual information does not appear.

Is there a way of saving the data as it goes through the "while" loop in such a way that the array/variable/whatever can be echo'ed in the email?

ok...

$result is simply a 'handle' that php/mysql uses to know to which query you are referring.

several ways to do it, one example (pseudo code)...

as you loop through your results

[code]       while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {[/code]

simply add these lines ...
[code]
$bd_array[$ix] = the row values;
$ix = $ix + 1;[/code]
when it is finished, you will have any array whith which you can do anything you desire.

Lite...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.