Aside from PHP what else do you want to master?

ok

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an application, where the client wants as little reloading as possible. So there it goes. Client's ID is enetred into one field, and once the user tabs out, the rest of the client data is loaded into page. And I must say it is faster than reloading a page, and also provides more smooth (dekstop application-like) experience.

Another thing is, there are some forms, that get information from literally dozens of queries. Luckily not all information has to be visible at one time, because some of the tables are tabbed etc. With Ajax I can load information only for those elements that are visible at any one time. Less load on database is always good :)

I'm becoming a huge ajax fanatic and I recently googled ajax powered forum software and afterlooking through tons of pages I totaled the number of forum softwares powered by ajax to only 2! And one of them totally sucks, they are like freewebs type crap, and the other one the demo link was broken and to download it you had to sign up on some site. No thanks. I may code an ajax forum. Take a long time but I would learn alot

Just remember:  all you have to do is disable javascript and then ajax no longer works.  So when coding a site with ajax rich features, you are doing double the work, because you have to also code it the traditional way so your site can gracefully fall back to it. 

It's possible to do so the extra work required will be minimal.

Take this page for example: http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/overview/default.stm

If you use the tabs (Overview, Stockmarkets, share prices etc) in firefox, then you only see that part of the page reloading. Try it in IE, and the whole page reloads. Perhaps something's just broken, but I see this sort of thing all the time. I would guess that firefox is doing some comparison of the old page and the new one.

I notice the same thing as GingerRobot.  I clicked over and over and over again and saw absolutely no visible flickers other than the actual tabs switching (FF), but full page reloads for IE.  Google Chrome will initially load the page from that link, but if I try to click any tabs, it takes me to an error page, claiming the page doesn't exist.

Hmm... yeah I suppose that internet speed is not a factor when it's first in your cache. However, the entire screen does flicker for me in FF. The only browser it doesn't do that in is in Opera (it somehow didn't want to load in Chrome for me). I definitely think it has to do with the speed of the rendering engine and benchmarks of those always show Trident as the loser.

Even then, you're forgetting that the majority of people do use IE so it does not mean that there is no use for AJAX. Furthermore, AJAX can also decrease the load on the server. What do you think takes up less bandwidth? Sending back an entire new page or a small piece of e.g. JSON?

All good points Daniel and I wont try to argue with them. I wasn't, however, trying to say there wasn't a place for AJAX. I happen to - for the most part - like AJAX rich websites; they generally feel much smoother and more like an application. I guess my point was that the browser has it's part to play in this too.

"Maybe some people think saying that MS is bad/evil/shitty/fat makes them look more "IT savvy" than average population?"

Exactly.  There's a group that thinks that badmouthing MS makes them cool.  "M$ IS SHIT!  Damn I'm cool!  My linux friends must think I ownzor!"

Then there's the group that actually has reasons for not liking MS, which still are usually way overblowing things.  That's the "Despite making very good and useful products that are used by millions of people daily, MS released 1 bad thing, so they suck.  Ass."

*Bets 10 e-dollars that someone in response to my last statement says something like, "Yeah 1 bad product isn't bad, but Vista?  That's an entire OS!"*

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.