Aside from PHP what else do you want to master?

ok

Yeah 1 bad product isn't bad, but Vista? It's not bad actually :P

MS has released more than 1 bad product, but as far OSs go, XP and Vista are not bad (sure, they could be a lot better... but then what couldn't?). I worked with MS OSs since DOS 3.0 and Windows 3.11... now talk about bad!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1: At first, there was nothing else to switch to. No linux yet and getting Mac in my country meant spending as much money as several monthly salaries.

2: All my schools required me to learn MS products and/or use MS products for my homework (well... for over two years now I'm doing most of that in OpenOffice)

3: My step-father runs a small company and he has chosen to use MS software (again, he had not much choice when starting, and changing that later is helluva work)

4: I suck at linux ;) Tried it a few times. Once it cost me a lost of partition... Not my fault - CD with RedHat was faulty. Such things don't encourage to switching.

5: Despite what many linux fans say, not every software has it's functional counterpart for linux or runs fine in wine. I'm industrial automation engineer. I use a lot of software provided by automation hardware manufacturers and most of it does not work with linux (or anything else besides Windows for that matter).

All in all I'm moving towards free software as much as I can. I have now Vista and Ubuntu on my laptop. I don't use Ubuntu much though... I failed to install WiFi card... ;)

Main thing I hate about vista is how I get a popup box asking if I'm sure I want to do everything.

"Are you sure you want to run this program?"

"Are you sure you want to move this file?"

"Are you sure you want to open this folder?"

"Are you sure you want to allow this connection?"

"Are you sure you want to close this program?"

"Are you sure you want to get more coffee?"

"Are you sure you want to kick me?"

Using sudo is nowhere near as annoying as UAC. You dont keep getting asked for the admin password to do the same thing with sudo, but you do keep getting asked to confirm with UAC. Moreover, windows already asks you if you want to run a program. It then feels necessary to check again.

Turn UAC off. It's pointless. IMO it provides no security at all. People get used to clicking it whenever they see it without reading what it actually says.

IMO it provides no security at all. People get used to clicking it whenever they see it without reading what it actually says.

The users' stupidity/carelessness is not Microsoft's fault.

I disagree. If you are continually forced to repeat the same action, it becomes a habit to click without reading. That's human nature if you ask me - it has little to do with being stupid/careless

I'm not against UAC per se, i'm against the way it was implemented.

Come on. It was Microsoft's first shot at such a feature. I bet in Windows 7 users will be required to input their administartor's password whenever they open task manager :P

7's UAC is much more flexible. I tested it in a VM.

IMO it provides no security at all. People get used to clicking it whenever they see it without reading what it actually says.

The users' stupidity/carelessness is not Microsoft's fault.

I disagree. If you are continually forced to repeat the same action, it becomes a habit to click without reading. That's human nature if you ask me - it has little to do with being stupid/careless

If you answer a question without knowing what the question is then you are both stupid and careless in my opinion. Personally I sometimes find it annoying when I'm not prompted to verify my action. I've sometimes hit the wrong button and that resulted in loss of data. That's also the reason why many people alias rm to rm -i in Linux for the root user. To prevent accidental data loss.

I don't and I will not try it until it hits the market. I think I'm past those times, when I was fascinated in every new MS OS (simply because the older ones were so... not good ;P ) Now I could live with Win XP for what I care. It's just my laptop was shipped with Vista, so I use it.

Eh, I think it's my boredom that compels me to try new technology things.

"What should I do now?"

"I should mess up my perfectly good files/OS by selecting the wrong partition on which to install an OS I'll hardly ever use!"

That's how I roll.

Main thing I hate about vista is how I get a popup box asking if I'm sure I want to do everything.

"Are you sure you want to run this program?"

"Are you sure you want to move this file?"

"Are you sure you want to open this folder?"

"Are you sure you want to allow this connection?"

"Are you sure you want to close this program?"

"Are you sure you want to get more coffee?"

"Are you sure you want to kick me?"

Turn off UAC. Can be found in the control panel, just search for UAC and it'll give you the option. I was annoyed at that for a while but turning off UAC removes a hell of a lot of those warnings.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.