Enabling Url File Access?

clarencek

Hi, I host with GoDaddy.com and am receiving an error when trying to use the file_get_contents() function:

"Warning: file_get_contents(): URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration"

I know with GoDaddy, I can set up a custome php.ini file. Is that where I can make the changes to enable file-access? I am a newbie so have no idea how to do this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

It looks like you cannot specify a url in the parenthesesis, ie:
file_get_contents("http://www.mysite.com/filename.php");

Try a relative path instead if the file is on your server. or see if you can turn on [b]allow_url_fopen[/b] setting in the php.ini. Also GoDaddy may have safe_mode trun one which may be causing this.

[!--quoteo(post=388931:date=Jun 28 2006, 01:09 PM:name=wildteen88)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(wildteen88 @ Jun 28 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]388931[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Try a relative path instead if the file is on your server. or see if you can turn on [b]allow_url_fopen[/b] setting in the php.ini.
[/quote]

So, being the newbie, I'm not even sure how to turn on the allow_url_fopen in the php.ini. Can someone walk me through this please?

You said you had access to your php.ini? You just open it up and find the line that says [i]allow_url_fopen = Off[/i] to [i]allow_url_fopen = On[/i]
It may not state Off it might be set to 0 instead.

Additonally you might be able to use the following in your script:
[code]// enable url fopen
ini_set("allow_url_fopen", "On");[/code]

[!--quoteo(post=388972:date=Jun 28 2006, 02:37 PM:name=wildteen88)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(wildteen88 @ Jun 28 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]388972[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
You said you had access to your php.ini? You just open it up and find the line that says [i]allow_url_fopen = Off[/i] to [i]allow_url_fopen = On[/i]
It may not state Off it might be set to 0 instead.

Additonally you might be able to use the following in your script:
[code]// enable url fopen
ini_set("allow_url_fopen", "On");[/code]
[/quote]

So, the code in the script did not work. I don't have access to the php.ini file, but they allow you to make a custom one. In my custom one, can I just have that one line stating "allow_url_fopen = On"? Or does it need to include a bunch of other stuff?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.