Website Design - Feedback Welcome

ILMV

Hello All!

Let me explain, I am a web developer, I am not a major designer. I personally like the new design of my site, but, I would like to be torn apart with your advice :D

My site is www.meltdowntech.com, literally any feedback is very much welcome.

More info

The CSS coding structure is based on that used at styleshout.com, mainly as its easy to read. Apart from the icons, all pictures were taken by myself (amateur photographer), including the ethernet cable for the header.

The site (when I last checked) is valid XHTML+CSS, but, the images have not yet been 100% optimised.

but, the images have not yet been 100% optimised.

Not sure if you are aware of smushit.it! This is a Yahoo developer free tool that compresses images more than other apps tend to..(I added this info in the resources page.. it explains what you need to run it) Definitely worth looking into.. does all that it advertises. Site wide, I managed to shave off an additional 147k from what I thought was pretty optimized images to begin with (as I used 'Save For Web' in Photoshop).

In any case, hope that helps out.

Cheers,

NRG

It's an nice, clean looking website.  I'm diggin the ethernet cable as a content separator.  I don't particularly like a white content area on top of a white background.  I'm not a big fan of pink but it seems to work pretty well with the blue. There's not a whole lot to critique so I'll just say overall looks pretty good.

Wow thank you all very much!

I will certainly take a look at that optimisation link, thanks for pointing it out.

It took me a while to figure this design out, simplicity is the name of the game. The ethernet cable was shot for an earlier design that looked pants, so I used it on this and it seems to work well.

With the white on white, again this was to aid simplicity. I really should show you a page with tables and blockquotes on, but I don't have one to hand. Obviously if this thought becomes a trend, I will consider my options.

When choosing my colours, pink (surprisingly) was one that really popped, so pink, blue, black, white and gray (in very small proportion) was my colour pallet.

Again, thanks for all of your feedback, very much appreciated, keep it coming :D

Very nice design! I love the Ethernet cable. I tried taking photo's like that to no avail. Any tips for me?  ;D

Yes many... get a decent camera (an SLR if you can), get a tripod, put the object on a white background, such as a large piece of card, consider getting one of these to soften the light, therefore reducing the shadows, and make sure there is plenty of light getting to the subject, but remember you need to think about where the shadows are casting, this will affect the final stage, photoshop the crap out of it :D

Well its good you have all of the gear, let me re-assure you....

...it took me about 50 attempts at doing this :P

...it was photoshopped quite a bit

Just keep at it, also one more tip, if you are shooting a cable, keep it as straight as possible, because you can copy a section and repeat it to make the cable longer, that's what I did (the cable on the website is only 3/4 of its original length).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.