Meta data

ILMV

Hello All!

Please tell me, what damage will having no meta data (description, keywords) do to a site rank. I know search results are based upon the keywords, and how often those keywords appear in the content etc. Whilst I always put them on my own site, I am working on a site with none, and I would like to at some point suggest implementing this key feature, can I have some key, hard bullet points to use in my 'pitch'.

Many Thanks

ILMV

If you don't have meta tags then you most likely won't be in the first page of google any time soon. If your not on the first page you probably won't get alot of hits. Whens the last time you went to the second page directly after searching something? :-\

Not having a keywords meta tag shouldn't hurt in google or other equally good SE's. The description meta tag is however important, i would simply use the first 200 characters of the article/page to fill the description, that can easily be done through PHP depending of how you construct your site.

The most important elements for keywords are the title and the h1-h6 headings, followed by em, b, and strong.

Well for those really interested, the best place to seak out information about the SEs would often be the official websites, here are some for google regarding meta data.

Answering more popular picks: meta tags and web search

While the use of a description meta tag is optional and will have no effect on your rankings, a good description can result in a better snippet, which in turn can help to improve the quality and quantity of visitors from our search results.

Other links:

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35264#1

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2007/09/improve-snippets-with-meta-description.html

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.