Working with images AND MySQL for a Dental Application

needs_upgrade

Hello Guys!

My client have shown me a chart she made wherein she can easily see all the teeth and their conditions. There are several kind of teeth and have different numbers of divisions/areas. Each division/area can bee in good condition, bad(damaged/decaying), coated or missing.

I can easily do it if information for each tooth will be text-based. But my client wanted to include the chart in the system so that it will be much easier on her part.

What came into my mind is to save images representing each condition of the tooth. But there would be many combination.

Where should i start? Can you give me any idea on how to do it? Although i have started scanning about php image processing and zend drawing

Easiest thing would probably be to get a picture of an open mouth and overlay it with key codes, e.g. G = Good, B = Bad, etc. Upon pressing a key (e.g. G, B, C, or M) on the keyboard it could move focus to the next tooth. Clicking on a tooth would bring focus to it of course. Upon saving it would overwrite the old values as well as perhaps save a "changelog" for the journal. I don't know how dentists work, but if you live near her then you could perhaps ask her if you can observe how she works so you can design the application accordingly.

If you want to get more detailed than each tooth, like do specific parts of teeth, you could simply look at the picture as a graph and map coordinates on it based on where the user clicks.  For example, if the user clicks on:

30, 25

25, 30

30, 30

You would have a 5x5 square.  (This assumed counting from the top left.)

Then, you could save notes based on the coordinates.

If you want to get more detailed than each tooth, like do specific parts of teeth, you could simply look at the picture as a graph and map coordinates on it based on where the user clicks.  For example, if the user clicks on:

30, 25

25, 30

30, 30

You would have a 5x5 square.  (This assumed counting from the top left.)

Then, you could save notes based on the coordinates.

I dont know much about javascript, is it possible to change the color of each square? Would you be kind to give me some sources? Thanks so much corbin. Thank you daniel as well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.