Am I being Scammed?

Lamez

I posed an ad on crag's list, that says what computer services I can preform. Then I got this e-mail today that says the following:

--- On Fri, 11/7/08, smith santex <santex_fiath@yahoo.com> wrote:

Subject: Your Servise is Needed

My name is santex from Tennessee and right now i work in Las Vegas I read your description and am instrested in your services,I just brought some computers and they are are laptops pentium 3 dell computer ..i want you to Install software such as Microsoft Office and Antivirus, clean inner & outer computer components, update software to current status,i have a shipper that will bring them to you and also bring them back when its done he will also come to you with the software and anti virus needed Get back to me with your total cost for the services of eight computer only cos all the software and anti-virus and windows will come with the pcs.i will like You to know that my mode of payment is by check or Money order.

I await your urgent response so that i can put the arrangement in order.

Thanks

But she sent this email to tons of other addresses, I took them out, so then I responded and told 'em I could do it for $60.00 per PC.

So then they responds with:

Hello, I really do appreciate your effort and i will Love to do Payment with you soon. However, based on your mail i will be making a payment for the 8Computers.I must confess I'm comfortable with the cost and its quite reasonable and affordable. I had like to make the payment for the Computer ahead of my shipper arrival,My shipper will be coming with the 8Softwares for the installations of the Computers I'll be sending Money Order OR Check for payment for $4100 from which i'll like you to deduct the fees for the 8Computers and help me send the rest balance to my the shipper that will move the Computer from mine place to your for your Service because i will be going on a visit to Nevada today. I will keep you posted of when you are likely to receive the payment. If this is okay with you let me have the following information, Full name, Address & Phone No. for the payment to be made out to you. I hope i can trust you and i can as well be trusted. Hope to hear from you soon. Have a good time.

Regard

This time, she only responded to me, and there was no other emails.

Should I only give my phone number, and ask to speak with them over the phone rather than email?

Definitely a scam.  I've received about 15 of those exact messages from different email addresses.  They vary in the person's name and country.

My only question is how does this scam work?  They're offering to send you both the computers and the money.  I don't see how you could lose here.  Unless they're like trying to smuggle cocaine across borders and are using you as the scapegoat or something.

$60.00 per pc?!  That's crazy low.  I charge $129 to set a PC up, do an opt on it, and install AV/AS.  If they want recovery disks made, because computers (except for toshiba, dell, and apple) don't come with them, i charge $159.  Includes all above plus recovery. Then $49.00 for software suite installs.

$60.00 per pc?!  That's crazy low.  I charge $129 to set a PC up, do an opt on it, and install AV/AS.  If they want recovery disks made, because computers (except for toshiba, dell, and apple) don't come with them, i charge $159.  Includes all above plus recovery. Then $49.00 for software suite installs.

Dear [put appropriate deity's name here]! Just where do you live, and can I move into area?

Definitely a scam.  I've received about 15 of those exact messages from different email addresses.  They vary in the person's name and country.

My only question is how does this scam work?  They're offering to send you both the computers and the money.  I don't see how you could lose here.  Unless they're like trying to smuggle cocaine across borders and are using you as the scapegoat or something.

It could simply be credit card fraud. They've stolen many credit cards, which they purchased all these computers with, and they are trying to unload them all over the world so they can not be caught with the computers. They are willing to pay 4,100.00 upfront for a reason. If there isn't illegal drugs inside, there is credit card fraud for sure going on.

I've seen stuff like this on MSNBC almost every week. They used to do this with radios.

This is how they scam you

I'll be sending Money Order OR Check for payment for $4100 from which i'll like you to deduct the fees for the 8Computers and help me send the rest balance to my the shipper that will move the Computer from mine place to your for your Service because i will be going on a visit to Nevada today.

Cash a bad check/money order, you pay the shipper with your money, a few days later your $4100 is gone because it was fake.

Tell them you want cash via wire transfer.

This is how they scam you

I'll be sending Money Order OR Check for payment for $4100 from which i'll like you to deduct the fees for the 8Computers and help me send the rest balance to my the shipper that will move the Computer from mine place to your for your Service because i will be going on a visit to Nevada today.

Cash a bad check/money order, you pay the shipper with your money, a few days later your $4100 is gone because it was fake.

Tell them you want cash via wire transfer.

Plus, you're in trouble with the bank because you deposited a bad check or Money Order. You lose all over. Run away from this very fast.

Ken

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.