Portfolio Undergo! Rate it / Comments!

ionik

Well now i've started my portfolio finally....lol

Anyways the url is

http://www.nwhiting.com

The entire website is going to run off Ajax and the middle content is going to dynamically load it in...

As of right now the only neat thing i have is the custom alert messages..

Hows the design / layout?

And yes i knw everything doesn't go anywhere or do anything :)

- Is an Ajax only design going to be an issue if some visitors have Javascript disabled? Or put another way, will you have <noscript> fall back sections just in case?

- Your page is almost validation-error free (almost).

- I really like the colour scheme and aesthetics.. very nice. I think about the only thing that catches my eye is the spacing between some elements. By example, between"Doors have been opened!" and the body of text below it, I would space this out a little more.. same goes for the spacing between the blocks of comments themselves.. Add some vertical spacing. As is, it feels too cramped. You have all the room.. give your content some breathing space.

- I would add some info the footer... (say copyright text by example). Once the site validates, add some info about that too.. you have plenty of space to make use of it.

Good start though.

- Is an Ajax only design going to be an issue if some visitors have Javascript disabled? Or put another way, will you have <noscript> fall back sections just in case?

- Your page is almost validation-error free (almost).

- I really like the colour scheme and aesthetics.. very nice. I think about the only thing that catches my eye is the spacing between some elements. By example, between"Doors have been opened!" and the body of text below it, I would space this out a little more.. same goes for the spacing between the blocks of comments themselves.. Add some vertical spacing. As is, it feels too cramped. You have all the room.. give your content some breathing space.

- I would add some info the footer... (say copyright text by example). Once the site validates, add some info about that too.. you have plenty of space to make use of it.

Good start though.

All browsers come with JavaScript enabled....if they have it disabled quite frankly its their loss....and I throw them a error message to let'm know about it, but its really nothing Im to concerned about.

Check the site in IE and youl see what I do....

And I fixed the 3 errors for validation....autocomplete....

the footer is incomplete yet it has content just not there :)

Check the site in IE and youl see what I do....

Well, after I click to clear your IE slamming message, the site appears to display correctly (using IE 8 Beta 2 [not as my regular weapon of choice though]). Not sure what your site is doing that IE 8 isn't handling (unless I am missing something here). And as mentioned in other threads with regards to IE, it is still the largest browser market share (unfortunately). To code a site which ignores IE completely could risk turning away more visitors than you'd like. Just a thought. Don't get me wrong. I too cannot stand IE... but they are still the largest in use.

Does IE 8 support the dom function onkeypress?

Good question. You would have to test this, as I'm not sure. I do know that IE (at least in the past) has had limited (poor) DOM support. Whether they have bolstered this in IE 8, I am not aware of. So the best thing to do is test it out.

Internet Explorer is not fully functional on my website, why because microsoft are morons.... Some features may not be avaliable to you because of IE. May i suggest getting Firefox? Or maybe Opera? Google? Something other than IE.

I am sorry for this but, until microsoft updates there browser capabilities I suggest you do.

Get FireFox

To Close this just click the text.

Um.... You might not support IE, but putting a message like that simply pisses me off.

Internet Explorer is not fully functional on my website, why because microsoft are morons.... Some features may not be avaliable to you because of IE. May i suggest getting Firefox? Or maybe Opera? Google? Something other than IE.

I am sorry for this but, until microsoft updates there browser capabilities I suggest you do.

Get FireFox

To Close this just click the text.

Um.... You might not support IE, but putting a message like that simply pisses me off.

That's Power of free speech and ability to speak my mind.....personally I don't see why it would be I'm pointing out the fact that Microsoft don't have there act together. Unless you are a hardcore Microsoft fan, it's not insulting to the viewer, and to me one click of the mouse, compared to countless hours trying to fix errors that happen with IE, its only fair to give viewers a feel of how much the browser they are using gives developers a hard time. Deal with it, don't go to my site or don't use IE simple :)

Ionik, I completely respect your view, but there's a fine line between buisness-proficient and simply being arrogant. You are being arrogant. More than 40% of all internet users navigate the web with IE. It isn't BENEFICAL to YOUR BUISNESS to slap a warning down that IE users are out of luck. Don't warn your users, simply make them realize how crappy their browser is. Lastly, your site looks fine in IE7 Vista.

I don't use FF because I'm running 64-bit Vista and flash only comes with 32-bit version. To get flash to work, I have to use a downgraded version of IE7... >:(

While this may be true, I am personally not to worried about hurting the business that comes to my website as this is a portfolio and I won't be selling or marketing anything ( its my website ), I spend countless hours at work working on getting everything IE complaint.

It's a personal choice to show that message, and a little effort to help everyone understand about how much IE frustrates developers, and is not the layout that is hurt by IE is it simply the functionality, and that message will only show the first time you visit.

Also I have seen quite a few pieces of software do the same.

And while you may say its arrogant to display a message like that, Isn't it just as arrogant to produce software that is not compatible to the same standards to almost all other software in the same industry.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.