Getting Iis To Display Php Error Messages

everbright

Hi all,

I'm totally new to PHP, and am starting to learn the ropes here, after years of frustration with ASP's limitations.

I've successfully set up PHP 5.1.4 with IIS 6.0 (I'm using Windows 2003 Server OS).

Ran into some strange behaviour when I started to do some simple codes. Whenever there's a mistake in my code, and I hit the script, IE or FireFox just gives me a blank screen, instead of spitting out error messages that help.

That left me troubleshooting in the blind [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/unsure.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":unsure:\" border=\"0\" alt=\"unsure.gif\" /]

Anyone knows how I can turn on debugging messages for PHP on IIS and Apache? Thanks!

In the "Error handling and logging" section of your php.ini file you can change a couple of settings to meet your needs. First make sure that the error reporting setting is set to the following:

error_reporting = E_ALL

If you want errors to echo to your browser page you should change the following setting to on:

display_errors = On

If you want to log errors to a file turn off the display_errors setting and set the path of the error log:

error_log = "C:\php\error_log.txt"

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip! That did it  :D

[quote author=fractil link=topic=97157.msg389297#msg389297 date=1151595237]
In the "Error handling and logging" section of your php.ini file you can change a couple of settings to meet your needs. First make sure that the error reporting setting is set to the following:

error_reporting  =  E_ALL

If you want errors to echo to your browser page you should change the following setting to on:

display_errors = On

If you want to log errors to a file turn off the display_errors setting and set the path of the error log:

error_log = "C:\php\error_log.txt"

Cheers!

[/quote]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.