newbie-insert into two tables simutaneously?

damonlee

I\'m trying to insert into two tables from an html page with input text boxes...the results are then displayed on another page that takes the data from the two tables and diplays it. here is part of my code:

$sql = \"INSERT INTO personnel, (firstname, lastname, email, salary) VALUES (\'$first\', \'$last\', \'$nickname\',\'$email\',\'$salary\')\";

//$sql = \"INSERT INTO about, (aboutId, eyeColor, hairColor, height) VALUES (\'$aboutId\', \'$eyeColor\', \'$hairColor\',\'$height\')\";

$result = mysql_query($sql);

the second $sql is commented out, but thats what i\'m trying to solve. How to I get $result variable to have data from both tables assigned to it?($result)

$sql = \\\"INSERT INTO personnel, (firstname, lastname, email, salary) VALUES (\'$first\', \'$last\', \'$nickname\',\'$email\',\'$salary\')\\\";

Shouldn\'t it be....

$sql = \"INSERT INTO personnel (firstname, lastname, nickname email, salary) VALUES (\'$first\', \'$last\', \'$nickname\', \'$email\', \'$salary\')\";

In a nutshell, you can\'t.

You need to :-

insert the first record

Get the id of the inserted record

Set $aboutid to the same value

Insert the second

HINT- use[php:1:b7647c77a4]<?php

#if $conn is the resutl returned from mysql_connect()

$aboutid = mysql_insert_id($conn);

?>[/php:1:b7647c77a4]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.