Photo

Logging a user out after 15 minutes of inactivity.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Genesis

Genesis
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 05:33 AM

What I want to do is send a query to a database that will cause a user to be logged out after 15 minutes of the script being executed.

When the user loads a page, it sets \"available\" to 1 in the database, for that user. Fifteen minutes later, that user\'s \"available\" field should be set to 0 AUTOMATICALLY. If the page is refreshed again before that time, the timer should be reset to 15 minutes.

How might I go about doing this? Or is there another way to get this effect without having to delay the execution of a query?

#2 effigy

effigy
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,600 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 09 November 2003 - 06:26 PM

use javascript. make a coutdown type clock. in each body tag put an onload event that sets the clock back to 15. have an if statement setup within the clock that says when it hits 0 to go to index.php?logout=yes, for example, where the cookie/session is terminated.
Regexp | Unicode Article | Letter Database
/\A(e)?((1)?ff(?:(?:ig)?y)?|f(?:ig)?)\z/

#3 Genesis

Genesis
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:03 PM

awesome. For some reason I never considered using JS.

Thanks a bunch :D

#4 Genesis

Genesis
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:05 PM

Err, hmm. actually, would that work if they closed the browser or navigated away?

#5 effigy

effigy
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,600 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 11 November 2003 - 02:59 AM

are you using sessions or cookies?

honesty, i don\'t think you need a database field to control this. when the counter hits 0 void the cookie or destory the session.

Err, hmm. actually, would that work if they closed the browser or navigated away?

if you are using cookies, yes, if it is set with no time limit (i.e., void when the brower is closed).

if you are using sessions, yes, in theory. the session still exists on the server until its life expires (this is set in the php.ini). however, when they close the browser they will terminate that link. navigating away--i\'m not sure.
Regexp | Unicode Article | Letter Database
/\A(e)?((1)?ff(?:(?:ig)?y)?|f(?:ig)?)\z/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users