read notification emails

kals

Is there some way to find out if an email has been read or not when sending emails
I mean other than the "Disposition-Notification-To:" header
I have seen many sites/programs offering over 90% accuraccy in finding if email has been read or not also many sites state that they can do so without alerting the reciepient of the email. Does anyone know how this can be done?

Thanks in advance

For an internal system yes, but for a normall example hotmail system no.

i think that the email provider has got a code set that when a user reads an email
the email provider code sends a confirmation back to the sender and updates that senders database ok
but i dont think that hotmail or free email providers provide that service for free ok.

Just google "Web bug" and you'll get tons of way of doing it.

Basically you create a server side file (php, asp, or whatever) that will record if the email was open and return a small image (could be just a spacer).

Using a web bug will increase your spam score with many email providers (but not much)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.