Make thumbnail of SWF

Welling

Hi!

I'm trying to get thumbnails of SWF files in png or any other image format. I know there are desktop applications that do this but I would like to do this from php or with a linux program. Like I do with images I can't do with SWF because ImageMagick doesn't support SWF.

Any idea?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I found a few ways to get thumbnails from swf using php. Today I was researching if I could make a game site of mine handle uploads as I use Mochi media games for this moment only.

The first one is complicated- php-ffmpeg is a PECL extension that allows getting frames from avi, flv, mpg. It can't work with swf. There's a project you can use to convert swf to avi in php, but it uses some python stuff I couldn't make work on my Ubuntu. Maybe someone will try this approach. Just search for "pyvnc2swf" on google.

Another aproach is to take a browser screenshot. This was a successful strategy for me. There are two possible projects I found. The problem is that they can't work on a normal hosting machine. For video manipulation this is not such a problem though. There'a a class in phpclasses that uses Mozilla to capture images. It needs X installed. I couldn't try it, because I can't install libxul on Ubuntu 10.04, but I used a similar approach with a Windows XP virtual machine.

So... The steps I used to succeed:

1. Make the virtual host visible to the main machine. I didn't have such connection. It was simple- create a host adapter for the VM.

2. Install WAMP. Another windows apache+php bundles may need extra installation of COM support. For the scripts to work you need to make some administrative tasks- go to control panel- administrative tools - services. Select apache and in the properties window in Log On check "Allow this service to interract with desktop.".

3. Get the capture class from http://www.phpclasses.org/package/4608-PHP-Take-screenshots-of-pages-with-Internet-Explorer.html .

4. Patch the screenshot.class.php file this way:

- add a public $sleep=0; variable for the class

- patch the navigate function this way:

public function navigate( $url = 'about:blank' )

{

$url = ( $url ) ? $url : 'about:blank';

$this->IE->Navigate( ($url) ? $url : 'about:blank' );

$this->url = $url;

$time = time();

if ($this->sleep){

set_time_limit(100);

sleep($this->sleep);

}

while ( $this->IE->ReadyState != '4' and $time + 2 > time() )

{

$this->pump();

}

if ( $this->pump )

{

$this->pump( 1000 );

}

return true;

}

The code for sleep is mine.

5. Write a simple script to fetch images:

require_once('screenshot.class.php');

class_exists('screenshot') or die('screenshot class does not exist.');

$screen = new screenshot(false, 768, 1024);

$screen->sleep= 30;

$screen->navigate('http://hot2.kefche.net/games/d67wtx.swf');

$screen->title('You can set custom titles too (and custom body if you want)');

$screen->position(0, 0);

$screen->screenshot();

$screen->output();

$screen->save('image.jpg');

$screen->quit();

unset($screen);

Why do we need sleep(30)? When a flash game is loaded it has some loading time, advertising. The screenshot script without sleep would get the loading bar most of the times.

So... We have a really slow thumbnail system. What we need is some extra stuff for a queue of the swfs and sending images to the main server. A cron called once every 2-3 minutes for a thumb will help too. Maybe an infinite process with no cron is possible on a machine that servers thumbnails only.

The attached image is generated by the script I described.

http://dreamer79.eu , http://dreamerwebdesign.blogspot.com (blog in bulgarian language)

[attachment deleted by admin]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.