awsome job with the upgrade

I had 1 small problem, the board seemed to have lost my password, but thankfully you can type your email in and have a new one set in place.

It looks soo much nicer (even though it's just the defaults).

Anyways congrats you guys!

I have 1 small question about the SimpleMachine Forum.... :
When you run the install.php, (to set everything up for the first time) does it make more sense to create it's own DB for all the messages? 
Or do you mix it in with the current DB your using?

I ask this because the SMF seems to generate so many tables, it makes it hard to find your other tables unless you prefix everythign with zzz. Is that the point?  Prefix everything with zzz? or simplify your own life by seperating them into 2 different dbs?

i recently changed to SMF on my own site, about a month ago.  I didn't have any trouble installing it.  And I personally don't find the db structure all that confusing either.. now what I DID have troubles with, was integrating it to my website. they have a nifty site integration feature where you just include ssi.php and you have access to some functions that helps integrate your site with their forum.  The problem with me was that I guess great minds think alike cuz it turned out that I named a lot of my own site functions the same as their functions so I kept getting that stupid function already defined error, so I had to go through and change a lot of crap before I was able to integrate fully  :-\

[code=php:0]
<?php
  echo "test?";
?>
[/code]

holy crap the php tags are back again, woot!

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=98994.msg389771#msg389771 date=1151685628]
i recently changed to SMF on my own site, about a month ago.  I didn't have any trouble installing it.  And I personally don't find the db structure all that confusing either.. now what I DID have troubles with, was integrating it to my website. they have a nifty site integration feature where you just include ssi.php and you have access to some functions that helps integrate your site with their forum.  The problem with me was that I guess great minds think alike cuz it turned out that I named a lot of my own site functions the same as their functions so I kept getting that stupid function already defined error, so I had to go through and change a lot of crap before I was able to integrate fully  :-\
[/quote]

Hey Crayon, it's not so much that i find the database confusing (which i do though hehe).  But it mixes it's apples with my oranges, and i didn't know if it was more effecient to just bear with this, or seperate them into different databases (since the merged tables relate to different things).

Mind you... with your explanation of how you kinda migrated your site to share some of there tables; then it would definatly make sense in your case to share the same db.  Anyways, thanks for your feedback, and thanks Ober for your direction.

I think for now, i will take Obers advice and create a seperate DB, as much as i like crayon's merging ideas...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.