frameworks - good or bad for your CV?

lanmonkey

It would probably depend on the employer.  I don't see someone's knowledge of PHP in relation to how well they can use a framework either.  Just because I know how (hypothetically) Zend Framework functions doesn't mean I know how it works.

I think any logical employer would appreciate the ability to use a framework, saving time and making them more money.  But at the same time, they would expect you to know how to code things from scratch too.

I don't know, how someones ability to use frameworks can be trated as being lazy... It's not. It's being smart!

Having said that, I always prepare my CV to be tailored for the employer to whom I'm applying (not that I applied a lot...). If I know what skills are expected for that post, I underline them, and put others in 'Others' section ;)

Who cares if I've got a driving license if I'm applying for work-from-home position? ;)

First dumb question, CV? i assume it is part of a resume but what part?

If someone knows how to use a framework(more importantly a MVC framework) I would be more impressed if they know a little bit on how it works.  Knowing that 4^2 = 16 is great but much better if you know why 4^2 is 16.  If i got a resume saying that someone know the Zend Framework, I would ask general questions about MVC then the Zend framework itself because if they could not answer simple MVC questions, then they probably just tried to memorize the Zend API.

Last, the point about using a framework to be lazy is a bad comment, if you think a framework is lazy then all OOP is lazy.  Frameworks and OOP make use of a very fundamental programming concept of code re-usability(don't re-invent the wheel).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.