State
City
Cable
Station
Channel
Time
Zone (timezone)

Here's what I want to do:

Have a form that displays a drop-down list of countries. If a country OTHER than
the US is selected, the user just clicks 'search' and gets a formatted list of
showtimes in that country like this:

Here are our current listings for [Country name]:

[cable network]  [time]  [zone]
etc...

If, however, the US is selected, a second drop-down list of US states appears.
The user would select his/her state and then click 'search' and gets a formatted
list of showtimes in that state like this:

Here are our current listings for [State name]:

[city]  [cable network]  [station]  [channel]  [time]  [zone]
etc...

Nothing I have tried is working. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

Cynthia

#2 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:57 PM

you cannot make another dropdown magically appear like that with php. you need javascript for that.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#3 digitalrain

digitalrain
  • New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 03:44 AM

That I know :) I can get the non-search functionality of the form
working. It's just the search that doesn't work.

<sigh>

Thanks,

Cynthia

#4 Drumminxx

Drumminxx
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 92 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:13 AM

post some code.

your original post does sound like your trying to do something that will need to be done with javascript, however,
you mention "search" is this a sql problem?

post what you have that is not working
:: gucci.com ::
:: blockbuster.com ::

--------------------

#5 redarrow

redarrow
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 7,308 posts
  • Locationlondon

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:24 AM

why not just use a normal form and let the form be controlled via the users ip and let the form show the revelent country via there ip.

for example if the user like me was from the uk then the first country showing is uk.
Wish i new all about php DAM i will have to learn
((EMAIL CODE THAT WORKS))
http://simpleforum.ath.cx/mail2.inc
((PAYPAL INTEGRATION THAT WORKS))
http://simpleforum.a...aypal1_info.inc

#6 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:40 AM

okay in your OP you seem to ask how to get a dropdown box to appear with states, if the user selects the USA as their country.  That's a js solution.  Unless you want them to choose the US in countries and then click a button, then you could have an if statement that checks for a GET or a POST variable to see if the countries dropdown matches USA. If yes, then echo out the states dropdown box. if no, then skip it. 

But your next post mentions having all that figured out, but something is wrong with the search? Please post your query string and what your expected results are.
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users