[SOLVED] Throttling internet speeds for testing purposes.

sjmiller

Greetings all, being that this is my first post on the boards, I hope this question is in the right section.  Reading over the forum rules, I believe this to be right location.

My situation is as follows. I returned from another successful rotation out to Iraq this fall.  While out there, I had a collateral duty involving maintaining my battalion's NSAnet website.  While "maintaining" this server (Microsoft IIS v.?) I single-handedly developed a LARGE scale php & mysql application to aid in the development of intelligence while out there.  Unfortunately, it was across a satellite connection, and we had sites all over the place.  Traveling from satellite to satellite proved painful for the size of this application, and most users never got the full experience because they figured that the use of the application did not outweigh up to (and sometimes exceeding) 30 seconds for a single page load.  I attempted many resolutions to fix this problem, to include cutting down the CSS, trying to condense the mysql queries, and optimize the db with proper uses of indexes, etc.. etc..  But I was still facing incredibly slow load times.

Now that I am volunteering to go back out in Feb, I want to re-construct the application before I go back, and take advantage of the time I have.  With re-construction, I want to over-emphasize on swift load times to combat the killer of my application.  In order to properly test this, I want to emulate the scenario as much as possible.  I am looking to try and throttle my connection for testing purposes to (no joke) under 5kb/s load times.  I was told that some routers have a QoS service on them that would allow for this, unfortunately I don't have that functionality.  Does anyone know of any software that would assist me in throttling my connection for testing purposes to a set rate that will not exceed or fluctuate?

Thank you for your help!

Also, there are a couple half-ass (for lack of a better term) Apache modules that can limit bandwidth, but you're using IIS, so....

I am sorry for not clarifying.  Out in Iraq we function off of a MS IIS server.  Back here in the states, I intend on using apache for testing, as I have no intention of dealing with the hassles I've experienced with IIS.  Apache for development and testing, IIS for the real deal.

With that said, any chance you could link a couple of these modules?  I wouldn't know where to go to find them.  Thank you very much!

I don't remember any of them x.x.

I just remember searching for them one day.  Something like "apache bandwidth module" or "apache limit bandwidth" or something should come up with something that will work.  If you can't find anything, I can dig around in my old files and try to find it.

No worries, I installed and applied the firefox add-on listed above, and it works wonders, with the short downfall of excluding localhost.  I can see being more of a pain to implement than it is probably worth.  But otherwise, it works wonderfully, and it accomplishes what I am looking for!

Solved!  Thanks for the help!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.