[SOLVED] More Inviting Look?

DarkPrince2005

I know that this isn't really tthe kind of thing that is posted allot, but I could really use the help.

I recieved a comment about a website I designed saying that it was clean, elegant, and simple but not very inviting to look at. Is there anybody that might have a few ideas on how I can be able to achieve such a look without really changing the logo? Any comments and help would be appreciated.

http://www.spign.co.za

Hello :D

It looks ok, but, with a black background, black nav bar and white links, it looks very black and white :D

I would say, experiment with other colours, even maybe a gray if it will work.

www.colorblender.com is a good tool for matching colours

ILMV

The new doesn't look like much on an improvement. The colors are pretty terrible and the design lacking.

As a web design company in a very competitive market we at SPIGN Development have designed our own website to mirror the qualities we strive to build into every website we design, as we believe in client satisfaction.

Do you think a client would be satisfied with this?  I can understand people building websites as a hobby or to promote their hobby, but if I just went out an bought my first digital camera I'm not going to call myself a professional photographer and start my own business.

With that said, there is really nothing there to critique.  You have a very blurry logo and a couple paragraphs of text.  As stated the color choice is pretty terrible to begin with.

It's better but as everybody else has said, seems to lack something!

The nav definitely needs work! Looks like you spent all your time working on the rounded corners then when you came to design the nav, was fed up / bored.

The main text is also a bit bland, looks tiring to read.. there's no headers, images or anything to catch your eye and keep you interested. The logo doesn't really fit the style you're trying to achieve, or at least the "SPIGN" text doesn't.. and the 2 blues don't go well together.

Adam

Too lazy to read the previous posts, so sorry if I'm being redundant.

1) Change the font.  Boring...

2) Put some graphics on the homepage.

3) Create a footer.

4) Add some containers for the portions of text.

Everything else looks good.  I really like the header.

It is certainly better than what you started with. Is there a reason you want to use those dark colors? Dark is ok when you have enough to pop out at you.  You need more contrast to pull off a dark layout.  Then menu is showing purple links which can barely be read. It should also extend further to the rounded corner.  I don't particularly like a single column of data with nothing to break it up a little. A footer would also be nice.

Ok boys, girls and fellow programmers... after allot of work, self-scrutiny and effort I think I finally have something.

http://www.spign.co.za/New/index.html

I have changed the font, lightened the colors a bit, made it validate, etc.

I'm not done yet, but can you guys once again give me your honest and personal critisism...

Thanks

Yours In Code...

I tried, and I can't get it to validate... also tried to vertically center it aswell... both attempts without any luck... ???

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<head>
<title></title>
<style type="text/css">
	.scrollable { 
	width: 800px; 
	height: 425px; 
	overflow: auto;
	background-repeat:no-repeat;
	}

.b{color:white;
	font-size:10pt;
	text-decoration:none;
	}

.s{font-family:verdana;
	font-size:9pt;
	font-weight:550;
	}

.v{width:100%;
	height:100%;
	}

body{margin-top:0;
	margin-bottom:0;
	margin-left:0;
	margin-right:0;
	}
	</style>
</head>
<body bgcolor="#A19C9C">
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" class="v">
<tr>
<td height="100%" width="100%" align="center" valign="middel" bgcolor="#A19C9C">
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="800">
<tr>
	<td bgcolor="#A19C9C" colspan="2"> </td>		
</tr>
<tr>
	<td style="background-image:url(top.gif)" height="129" colspan="2" align="right" valign="top"><font size="1"><br /></font>
	<font size="2"><font color="gray"><b>Contact Number:</b> 083 878 0721    <br />
	<b>Email:</b> info@spign.co.za    <font size="1"><br /><br /><br /><br /></font>
	<b><a href="index.html" class="b">Home</a>  <font color="#d8d8d8">|</font>  
	<a href="about.html" class="b">About Us</a>  <font color="#d8d8d8">|</font>  
	<a href="services.html" class="b">Services</a>  <font color="#d8d8d8">|</font>  
	<a href="faq.html" class="b">FAQ</a>  <font color="#d8d8d8">|</font>  
	<a href="contact.html" class="b">Contact Us</a>                                    </b></font></font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
	<td style="background-image:url(main.gif)" align="center" valign="middel" colspan="2"><div class="scrollable"><br /><br />

<table width="650">
				<tr>
					<td align="left" class="s"><font color="#D8D8D8"><br />As a web design company in a very competitive market we at SPIGN Development have designed our own website to mirror the qualities we strive to build into every website we design, as we believe in client satisfaction.
						<br /><br />
						Although our combination of creative, fresh, innovative and unique ideas we include in our design through 
						the use of imagination and technology may add a novel appeal, we still believe 
						that every project's design should:</font>
						<ul>
						<li><font color="#D8D8D8">be simple</font></li>
						<li><font color="#D8D8D8">be graphically clean and elegant</font></li>
						<li><font color="#D8D8D8">be functional</font></li>
						<li><font color="#D8D8D8">be easily navigational</font></li>
						<li><font color="#D8D8D8">be informative and useful</font></li>
						<li><font color="#D8D8D8">use the correct keywords</font></li>
						<li><font color="#D8D8D8">have a good well written structure</font></li>
						<li><font color="#D8D8D8">attract visitor traffic</font></li>
						<li><font color="#D8D8D8">and convert visitors into customers.</font></li>
						</ul>

<font color="#D8D8D8">And it is through these beliefs that we are able to provide a service that is very different from most- on average producing more visitors to your website and higher client satisfaction.</font></td>
				</tr>
			</table></div>

</td>
</tr>
<tr>
	<td colspan="2" height="20" style="background-image:url(bottom.gif)"> </td>
</tr>
</table></td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.