I see my recommendation of SMF was not wasted :)

Ok got an answer for you effigy.

When marking all topics read it looks to see if your last url has action=unread in it.  If it does it returns you to that page.  If it doesn't it returns you to the board index.

So if you do the unread search, open a bunch in tabs, and then mark read your last URL doesn't have action=unread in it and thus it doesn't return you to the unread page.

[quote author=moberemk link=topic=99052.msg391975#msg391975 date=1152112676]
Aah. Okay, that explains that. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Now the only thing I don't get is why every time I post, it brings me back to the parent forum. Couldn't that maybe become some sort of option for those of us whom it merely annoys? It's a useful feature for some, but because I always browse the forum in tabs, I just don't need it around, and I'm used to being able to look over my post and make sure that I said what I meant.
[/quote]

Profile -> Look and Layout Preferences
Check the box next to "Return to topics after posting by default"

There's also a quick reply box available (in the same section - set "Use quick reply on topic display" to "Show, on by default")

I use the forums at work and at home, but the "Show unread posts since last visit" does not keep up with me. For instance, when I logged in from home just now I saw that certain forums had new posts (by the blue icon); however, when I clicked "Show unread posts since last visit", no posts were listed.

[quote author=Thantos link=topic=99052.msg391985#msg391985 date=1152113316]
Profile -> Look and Layout Preferences -> Return to topics after posting by default.
[/quote]
[quote author=Oldiesmann link=topic=99052.msg395096#msg395096 date=1152623796]
[quote author=moberemk link=topic=99052.msg391975#msg391975 date=1152112676]
Aah. Okay, that explains that. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Now the only thing I don't get is why every time I post, it brings me back to the parent forum. Couldn't that maybe become some sort of option for those of us whom it merely annoys? It's a useful feature for some, but because I always browse the forum in tabs, I just don't need it around, and I'm used to being able to look over my post and make sure that I said what I meant.
[/quote]

Profile -> Look and Layout Preferences
Check the box next to "Return to topics after posting by default"

There's also a quick reply box available (in the same section - set "Use quick reply on topic display" to "Show, on by default")
[/quote]
You know, I think that Thantos beat you to that one.

[quote author=effigy link=topic=99052.msg396016#msg396016 date=1152746157]
I use the forums at work and at home, but the "Show unread posts since last visit" does not keep up with me. For instance, when I logged in from home just now I saw that certain forums had new posts (by the blue icon); however, when I clicked "Show unread posts since last visit", no posts were listed.
[/quote]
Weird.  It shouldn't be doing that.  Ask Thantos to take a look into it.

[quote author=JayBachatero link=topic=99052.msg396871#msg396871 date=1152859696]
[quote author=effigy link=topic=99052.msg396016#msg396016 date=1152746157]
[/quote]
Weird.  It shouldn't be doing that.  Ask Thantos to take a look into it.
[/quote]Notice that it is unread posts since [i]last visit[/i]. Are you sure that there were new posts since you were last logged in? Each board indicator shows their are new posts since you last visited the board, not since your last visit to the forum, so they don't reflect the same thing.

[quote author=akabugeyes link=topic=99052.msg397728#msg397728 date=1152978476]
Each board indicator shows their are new posts since you last visited the board, not since your last visit to the forum, so they don't reflect the same thing.
[/quote]

Are these really different? I'm confused.

• 2 weeks later...
Can the "Show unread posts since last visit" be changed to work off of the last load of the page?

For example:

1. I click "Show unread posts since last visit".
2. There are quite a few posts to look at before I click "Mark All Messages As Read."

During #2, if a new post happens to take place I (obviously) can't see it unless I reload the page; however, if I click "Mark All Messages As Read", the new post, which I was unaware of, is now treated as if I had read it. I assume this to be true based on usage.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.