I see my recommendation of SMF was not wasted :)

Sure, it's probably better from a server-side perspective, and definitely mroe secure. But am I the only one who doesn't like the default theme's colours, the use of <font> tags, or the fact that the forum includes a link to the validator and claims valid XHTML but actually fails the test?

Yeah there was an error in the RC2 theme in which it was missing a </span>.  Its been fixed for the future versions.

The only use of <font> I'm fimilar with is with the PHP highlighting which is controlled by the highlight_string() function which uses font in PHP 4 and span in PHP 5.

Aah. Okay, that explains that. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Now the only thing I don't get is why every time I post, it brings me back to the parent forum. Couldn't that maybe become some sort of option for those of us whom it merely annoys? It's a useful feature for some, but because I always browse the forum in tabs, I just don't need it around, and I'm used to being able to look over my post and make sure that I said what I meant.

I have another functionality question. I use http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?action=unread most of the time, and when I click "Mark All Messages As Read" it takes me back to the forum index, instead of keeping me on the unread page. Can I change this?

It happened again. I did the following:

- Click on "Show unread posts since last visit."
- I control-clicked a topic to read it in a new tab.
- I clicked "Mark All Messages As Read" (the one at the top, not the one at the bottom) and was returned to the forum index. I went back and clicked the one at the bottom--same result.

If there are no unread topics and I click "Mark All Messages As Read", I stay on the unread page.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.