Design Idea

jcombs_31

Skewing the images like that reminds me of this functionality in MS Office 2007.

Looks good overall.

What type of person are you looking to attract? Ifs its very formal businesses then it might be a bit too much on the design side, and not formal enough. (IMO).

A *lot* of people from what I can see, are looking for a flash intro in sites.

Therefore, I think you should put in a neat animation to show what you can do with flash.

Anyways, thats my opinion.

-steve

Skewing the images like that reminds me of this functionality in MS Office 2007.

Is that a bad thing?

Looks good overall.

What type of person are you looking to attract? Ifs its very formal businesses then it might be a bit too much on the design side, and not formal enough. (IMO).

Well, to be honest I like to work with programmers that lack at design, but really nobody in particular, just somebody looking for a nice website aimed at small business/education/etc. 

I don't do that much IT work on the side, but I want people to know that it is an option for local business.

A *lot* of people from what I can see, are looking for a flash intro in sites.

Therefore, I think you should put in a neat animation to show what you can do with flash.

Anyways, thats my opinion.

-steve

Maybe I can build some kind animation for the main page.  I've considered doing my site entirely in flash, but I've fallen behind a bit and it would take quite a bit of work to develop.  I don't have a ton of flash experience.

I'm not sure I agree about an "intro" though, if by that you mean like a splash page before you get to content.

The skewed effect looks ok. Typically it would be seen as part of some accordion/fisheye effect.

Mockup2 is better. The header area still looks a little sparse. The text on the top right looks out of place, and just hanging there on its own.

As for flash: Nope it wasn't an intro flash page I was on about. I dislike them very much too.

As for a flash, it was a banner/graphics area which would change a random image, perhaps have some large text appear/change etc.

-steve

You're right, the top text is just hanging out there lonely and doesn't quite look right.  I'll try to come up with something.  Maybe I can add some flash for the latest work section and animate the skewed effect on a rollover. I'll play around with some ideas.

I prefer mockup1 personally.

As for making the site entirely flash, I wouldn't bother IMO. Using flash sparingly could work.. but in general, from what I have read (and my own opinions reflect this as well) is that once the novelty of neat animated flash elements wears off on a visitor, too much flash can be a turn off. I would personally opt to either not use flash at all, or use very small amounts of it, just to be safe.

I think the only thing that jumps out at me with the design is how much screen real-estate the latest work occupies. I would consider only using one third of this (meaning, think about only using Coconut schol (spelled incorrectly ;) ), and use the other two thirds of this space for something more informative.

Since I have seen you use a slide show system on your other sites, perhaps using that first third space as a slide show to show the multiple newest stuff?

Just seems that this section as is is extremely bulky.

I like where it is heading though.

3 is the best, can you tell me, how do you code the layouts after you are done photoshopping it? Can you give me a link to a tutorial? Thanks :) :) :) :)

A tutorial? While the concept is the same, the process varies for each design.  I slice and export all images as best I can from Photoshop and just build the site from the top down. I haven't really read or watched the tutorials, but I think if you search nettuts.com you'll find some tutorials that may help you. I subscribe to their feed but don't have time to go through most of it.

I really have my own way of doing things that may differ from others.  Some people actually like to code first which I just can't understand.

I like 3 as well, but I think the gel buttons are a bit tacky.  However it might also be because they sit on the color spit of light-dark on your background, but i'm not sure.  They just seem a bit off in a webpage of square corners.

IMO they should be shaped more like the "view website" in your featured area, but retain their whiter color.

The other thing is the color split itself.  It's ok, but I think people are expecting a little bit more in the way of gradients.. I dunno how to explain it.  It looks ok, but it is a bit unsettling.  Otherwise the bottom 3/4s of the webpage look solid.

*A note: in the actual featured site, perhaps leave off the browser and see how it looks?, or take a screenshot from fullscreen mode.

Looks good, my vote goes to Mockup 3 as well, although Mockup 5 came a close second.

Don't really have any suggestions. It's a good design, flows well, attracts my attention.

Good job.

Although I do agree with xtopolis about the screenshot, try it out with the browser not their (full screen) or something.

6 looks too crowded at the top. perhaps if the quote was slightly smaller.. but really i don't often see quotes in headers , might be just me.  Also 6 makes too much use of the reflection thing when you add it to the "free quote" thing.

6 is good, but just seems too busy.

I think this is the one...

http://multimedia-technologies.com/clientsites/mmt/mockup7.html

I tried the screenshot without the browser as suggested and it doesn't look right.  I'll probably make the featured section a little animation just to show that I can.

You might want to make a reflection of the text on the button, not just only the button... :P

Out of curiousity. What program do you use for making the mockups. I use Illustrator CS4 personally. but some people are more into fireworks and Photoshop. so whats your poison, ooh. I mean program hah?

and Btw: I like mockup 7 personally

Photoshop for mockups, illustrator for logos.  In my opinion, unless your designing for flash or for logos, it doesn't make sense to use illustrator. There is a rare occasion I'll open it to use a tool not available in photoshop, but 99% I'm using photoshop.  I'm currently using CS4.

I'm currently working on how I'm going to present my portfolio, I've already taken the index page and coded it.  I plan to do a little flash for the featured work, but that is not urgent.  I'll probably code the full site, get it online, and decided if I really want to use flash.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.