#41 micah1701

micah1701
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 613 posts
  • LocationEllington, CT USA

Posted 11 July 2006 - 05:47 PM

IMO, and ignoring what everyone else wrote above because thats just way to much reading, I don't like the karma on this site.

I think, for the purpose of this community, it isn't warrented.  It would be appropriate if we had a "general / off topic" section that was less formal and more indusive to relationship building - but here, especially with all the numerious one-post-wonders and newbies, i just don't think its appropriate.

plus, i want to know who gave me bad karma already? what did I do to who?  that pisses me off!
"Confidence in the face of risk."

#42 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:09 PM

wow, this absolutely amazes me! haha... makes for some interesting afternoon reading, though. if we're voting, i'd have to throw my votes in with the "no-karma" crowd. i don't care whether or not it's there, but i think it has too much of a propencity to be abused to be of any real help, however, i think that most mature users are going to feel the same way and not really pay much attention to what the numbers are anyway! :lol:

steelmanronald, i think that's probably the best view of the karma system that i've heard, though. it makes more sense (especially with the name "karma") that it is a reflection of your effect on people more than your actual expertise. i mean, like barand said, if i help 100 people that don't give a hoot about karma and you help 3 people who do....

...and the discussion continues. lol
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#43 Barand

Barand
  • Moderators
  • Sen . ( ile || sei )
  • 18,017 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:25 PM

It would probably be less abused if the recipient were to be notified of a karma change, why and by whom.

Or perhaps like the old "warn" system which would show the log of changes.

If it's anonymous, as now, then people can change it just for fun.
If you are still using mysql_ functions, STOP! Use mysqli_ or PDO. The longer you leave it the more you will have to rewrite.

Donations gratefully received

moon.png

|baaGrid| easy data tables - and more
|baaChart| easy line, column and pie charts

#44 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:48 PM

I wonder if anyone from the SMF team is reading this......

Info: PHP Manual

#45 akitchin

akitchin
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 11 July 2006 - 07:49 PM

haha i only just noticed that barand's status is "senile."  probably because you've been here since the start, but just for that i'm gracing you.

any man that old deserves good karma.

EDIT:  i just noticed that that's a profile setting.  barand, i think it takes courage to admit senility.

#46 Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 72 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, Ohio

Posted 12 July 2006 - 01:59 PM

I wonder if anyone from the SMF team is reading this......

I am...

There are a couple of different mods that will do what akitchin has requested:

http://mods.simplema...dex.php?mod=192 - Karma description mod. This one allows the user to add a reason for each karma action, which is then displayed to the recipient of that action

http://mods.simplema...dex.php?mod=192 - Karma Log. This one logs all the karma actions. Currently doesn't work with this version of SMF, but I can always update it for you if you're interested in it.

There's also the "Karma Wait Time" option. This lets you specify how many minutes a user must wait between consecutive karma actions. This will prevent people from sitting there smiting and/or applauding the same user over and over again.
The Oldiesmann
SMF Project Manager
SMF+Gallery2 - Beta3.1 now available

#47 TecBrat

TecBrat
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:29 AM

or people asking questions and being ungrateful or not paying attention to advice offered, etc... Do you report to the mods when this stuff happens, or do you simply ignore them, or point it out yourself?

I was at a forum for a php web log application and a person had asked if a certain thing could be done. All the answers were NOOO! You cant do THAT! I happened to have found a way to do it, posted details about how I did it, and the thread continued as if I didn't exist.  Wow how I'd like to be able to "smite" the person for ignoring me. Keep karma.
It's kinda lame at the moment, but...
PHP MySQL Playground

#48 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:03 AM

Karma valuable? 4000+ posts, 7 topics started and I have minus 1.  That speaks volumes about its usefulness.
Legend has it that reading the manual never killed anyone.
My site

#49 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 03:24 AM

maybe it says that you're a spammer and you ask a lot of dumb questions? lol  ::)
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

#50 Barand

Barand
  • Moderators
  • Sen . ( ile || sei )
  • 18,017 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:25 PM

I've got a -1 too. By sheer coincidence, it appeared just after I asked someone not to double-post. Perils of being a mod.
If you are still using mysql_ functions, STOP! Use mysqli_ or PDO. The longer you leave it the more you will have to rewrite.

Donations gratefully received

moon.png

|baaGrid| easy data tables - and more
|baaChart| easy line, column and pie charts

#51 obsidian

obsidian
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:27 PM

I've got a -1 too. By sheer coincidence, it appeared just after I asked someone not to double-post. Perils of being a mod.

lol... yes, i've been watching for my negatives to increase with some of the housekeeping i've been doing, but i haven't seen anything yet (please don't take that as an invitation to give me some ;) ). i'll just be gratefull for the non-attention i've received so far. :P
You can't win, you can't lose, you can't break even... you can't even get out of the game.

<?php
while (count($life->getQuestions()) > 0)
{   $life->study(); } ?>
  LINKS: PHP: Manual MySQL: Manual PostgreSQL: Manual (X)HTML: Validate It! CSS: A List Apart | IE bug fixes | Zen Garden | Validate It! JavaScript: Reference Cards RegEx: Everything RegEx

#52 ober

ober
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,337 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:36 PM

And this is exactly why I turned it off in the first place.  Thanks to whoever turned it back on!   ::)

Info: PHP Manual

#53 AndyB

AndyB
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 5,465 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:44 PM

Nah, it's a peril of being an ancient person :)
Legend has it that reading the manual never killed anyone.
My site

#54 akitchin

akitchin
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 18 July 2006 - 03:08 AM

haha it's true, i've done a little housekeeping and asking people to stop posting pointless stuff, but i've yet to get a -1.  guess it's cause i wasn't around when words like "groovy" were in style.

as for the value of the system, i'd agree.  i have +3, but most of you (andy, barry, the non-old guys :), etc.) are far more useful than i am.

#55 .josh

.josh
  • Staff Alumni
  • .josh
  • 14,871 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 08:31 AM

haha someone gave me my first -1. i wonder who it could have been and what for, seeing as how i've pretty much been away for the past couple of days... probably from my ^ post  ;D
Did I help you? Feeling generous? Buy me lunch! 
Please, take the time and do some research and find out how much it would have cost you to get your help from a decent paid-for source. A "roll-of-the-dice" freelancer will charge you $5-$15/hr. A decent entry level freelancer will charge you around $15-30/hr. A professional will charge you anywhere from $50-$100/hr. An agency will charge anywhere from $100-$250/hr. Think about all this when soliciting for help here. Think about how much money you are making from the work you are asking for help on. No, we do not expect you to pay for the help given here, but donating a few bucks is a fraction of the cost of what you would have paid, shows your appreciation, helps motivate people to keep offering help without the pricetag, and helps make this a higher quality free-help community :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users