Snipiti.com - what do you guys think?

jeremyapp

Hey,

I posted a link a while back to my latest project - It's called Snipiti.com, and it's an online community where you can search and post source code snippets for a variety of languages.

I'd really like if people could give some feedback on it, whether positive or negative.  There are some parts that are not yet feature-complete, but the site as a whole is finished and it works.  Feel free to post some scripts, make some comments, and let me know if anything doesn't work right.

Thanks for all your help!

Here's the link: http://www.snipiti.com

1. Why does the home page have a "Recently Added" Column instead of "News"? News is better than just whipping out random code(s) on the front page

2. good layout

3. Put the codes in MORE categories such as "PHP->Upload->Upload and resize" or "PHP->Upload->Upload and crop", etc.

4. "Stats: Currently 36 users online browsing 31 snippets." I LIEK

I love the design man, but I disagree with the previous post(s) saying it shouldn't be recently added, I think that is better then news.

//edit

I forgot to mention: nice domain name ;D

How about links to do the codes, instead of just showing them in the home page?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

1.  I originally had categories, and can turn on that functionality with the flip of a switch.  The problem that I ran into was that it added too much confusion to the submission process.  I wanted it to be as easy as possible to add snippets, and even with an "other" category, it's just another step.  If everyone disagrees, I'd be more than happy to turn that on.

2.  BoltZ - what was the suggestion you said I should do?

3.  Dezkit - I agree - there are places where the design isn't completely finished but I'm hoping to clean everything up as time goes.

If anyone encounters any errors or bugs, let me know!

Thanks everyone!

Jeremy

dezkit - I've fixed that issue - should work now.

BoltZ - under 'recently added' the code previews do link to the actual articles.  If you click the 'Read' underneath it'll take you to the full article where you can see the information about the snippet as well as make comments.

You should also change the font of the "About me" and "Our sponsors", it's pretty disturbing.

under 'recently added' the code previews do link to the actual articles.  If you click the 'Read' underneath it'll take you to the full article where you can see the information about the snippet as well as make comments.

Change it to links to the articles, not the code itselfs! imo.

deskit - I get what you're saying now.  On the one hand, it would make things cleaner, but I like showing off the syntax highlighting on the main page.  I'll try it your way though and see if I like it.

Also, which browser/OS are you using?  I feel like the fonts aren't carrying over like they should.

Eh right now I jsu checked my site in all browsers www.devwebsites.com and they are all rendering pretty good. I don't know about different resolutions though. I'm tryng to figure out what to put on the right side of the page. Any suggestions?

Alright - well, the biggest piece of advice that I got was to cut down on the code in the front page and replace it with an introduction to the site.  I did a bit of each.  There's some intro text and a list of 8 recently added snippets.  Does this look better, or does anyone have any suggestions for something better?  Thanks for all the help!

If you're just joining, the site is http://www.snipiti.com

Main flaws I'd say were:

The font. Not very appealing..

The stats don't seem very accurate: "Currently 1 users online browsing 53 snippets."

The 'site tour' isn't very accurate:

Below is a table with the first ten snippets for PHP. If you'd like to see more, just use the links at the bottom of the table to navigate.

.. Yet on the list there's 12? ha

Also with JavaScript disabled you are unable to login / register or view comments..

Adam

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.