How to turn computer monitor into mirror?

dezkit

Hey guys.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use a background that would

essentially turn my computer monitor into a mirror?

I tried scanning a mirror, but it doesn't work.

Mirrors work by reflecting light.  Solid, smooth, shiny surfaces make for the best mirrors.  Most mirrors are made of glass coated with a silver solution.  But in general, you can see your reflection all kinds of smooth shiny surfaces.  Even through translucent things like water or clear glass, if the light hits it just right.  It doesn't have to be white or silver; it can be darker colors, too.  The main things at work here is the amount of light that is available to be reflected and how smooth and reflective the surface is. 

Technically speaking, you can turn your monitor off, get a good light source pointed at it, and you should see some kind of reflection.  lcd monitors work best.  That's probably not what you were looking to do, though.  Frankly, I find it kind of comical that you tried to scan a mirror....

Best bet is to look into what dropfaith suggested: use a camera, set it on streaming or live feed.  I don't know any programs off the top of my head that will make turn the feed into your wallpaper, but I've seen all kinds of 'interactive' and 'animated' backgrounds so maybe if you research how that's done, it might be a step in the right direction.  Can't be too much harder to go from pre-scripted frames to live feed.  Who knows? Good luck.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.