ASP.Net

BoltZ

Hey yall Not sure which forum to put this thread in but here goes

I am goingn to start learning .Net and I have a couple questions

1. Do I need to install a server on my computer to run .net just like php?

2. I heaard about these "frameworks", what framework is best out of VB, c# and sharp J?

3. I don't need to code in a framework right?

4. Which framework is best?

Thanks yalll

1. Depends on what your planning on doing with it. If its server-side web stuff, then yes, of course you will need a webserver.

2. .NET is a framework. You can use either C# or VB.NET

3. .Net is a framework.

4. I think your confused about what .Net is exactly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASP.NET

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework

I don't have much experience with ASP, but if I remember correctly, a couple different languages can be used by ASP (VB for example), and ASP.NET (the thing that followed ASP) simply provides those languages an interface (meant loosely in this context) to the .NET framework.

VB is a programming language, like C++, C, FORTRAN, BASIC (the predecessor to VB) so on....

Most ASP pages are written in VBScript, but any other Active Scripting engine can be selected instead by using the @Language directive or the <script language="language" runat="server"> syntax. JScript (Microsoft's implementation of ECMAScript) is the other language that is usually available. PerlScript (a derivative of Perl) and others are available as third-party installable Active Scripting engines.

(Guess I lied a minute ago when I said VB, I actually meant VBScript ;p.  Guess that could have confused you about VB.)

.NET is not a programming language, just like the Zend_Framework isn't a programming language.  Frameworks in lower level languages work a lot differently than in a scripting language though.

In ASP.NET, the language in which the code is written (VB or C# for example) simply can use the .NET framework.

So asp.net is a programming language that uses the .net framework. So I don't need to know .net framework. How good is vb and vbscript btw

No. .Net and asp.Net are both frameworks. One is strictly for use making server-side web applications (asp.net), the other can be used ina variety of areas.

The languages you can use to interact with the *.Net frameworks are vb.net & C# (there may be others).

Vbscript was the default language most people used to interact with the older asp (active server pages). You could however write asp in Vbscript, Jscript, Python and a number of other languages. asp has long been depricated however in favour of asp.Net.

Did you read my last reply?

Yes. asp.net is used for the web. And no, vbscript is not like Javascript. They are both interpreted languages but that about where the similarities end.

Neither vbscript nor javascript can however be used to interface with asp.net.

Ugh I have been researching for an hour now trying to decide which language to learn

ASP.Net, PHP or JSP, I am already SOMEWHAT familiar with php. They all have their downfalls though.

PHP is open source so some businesses don't like to use it.

JSP requires a compiler and with larger websites you need to make your own library whatever and reference java beans and all that.

and ASP.Net runs only on Microsoft Platforms i think?

:(

I read a wise bit of advice while researching right now.

"Go with the money"

So I will and researched that ASP.Net jobs are in high demand n paying better.

Do i need to download Visual Studio to use ASP.Net or is that just like dreamweaver where its just a notepad type of device

More research.

I have a question for you guys, if you knew what you do now, pretend your not at a site called phpfreaks.com and answer me this

between asp.net, jsd, and php which would you choose.

Asp.net can only be run on windows

jsd is uh...hard to learn?

php is open source and not very good IMO for large-scale websites

To expand on thorpe's answer:

Have you never heard of Facebook?!?!

I think yahoo has PHP in it too.

"I have a question for you guys, if you knew what you do now, pretend your not at a site called phpfreaks.com and answer me this"

Even at a site not called phpfreaks you would get biased answers.  Look up the "perl vs php" threads that have haunted PHPFreaks for so long, and you'll see what I mean.

I personally am not a fan of ASP mainly because I'm not a fan of IIS.  So, I probably wouldn't be a fan of ASP.NET ;p.  So I'm not gonna try to answer.

You misunerstand me. I didn't say everyone hates open source. Just some people don't trust it..

The languages currently on debate now are

PHP

JSP

ASP.Net

ASP.Net is supposd too get good money but when it says its limited to window platforms does it mean you can only CODE it on window platforms or it won't render a site in asp.net on other platforms. I am confused.

In your personal experience (if you have any) how hard is JSP to master and what tools would I need to even attempt learning it.

PHP I think i will continue my study at this as well as an alternative

I would love to do asp.net but it runs on windows

When they say that does it  mean you can only CODE on windows? Does it work in webpages mainly so that it works on all platforms but you can only code in windwos?

Or is asp.net a desktop language  mainly?

"Or is asp.net a desktop language  mainly?"

Oh my God....  Have you read this thread at all?

"When they say that does it  mean you can only CODE on windows?"

You can code it anywhere, but if it requires compilation (don't remember if it does or not) then it will have to be compiled under Windows.  Can you code Java on a computer without javac?  Of course, but you can't compile it.  Same thing (assuming, once again, that it has to be compiled).

If you want to learn ASP.NET, do the following things:

1. Download Visual Web Developer 2008 Express from Microsoft for free.  It comes with a built-in server and the Express version of their SQL Server, so you'll be able to compile your projects out of the box.

2. Use C# as your code-behind language and NOT VB.

3. Get yourself a decent book on ASP.NET and, more importantly, C#.  You can use the MSDN sites as a reference, but they're not that great IMO.

I HAD decided on jsp but afteer some research from sitepoint i finally understood that its apparently VERY VERY difficult  to learn. ASP.Net seems like the best one to learn here and So when I code asp.net I am really coding in C# but i am  using ASP.Net coding ? I have never used frameworks actually so I am confused how one can code in a framework. Can anyone explain alittle more completely?

So when I code asp.net I am really coding in C# but i am  using ASP.Net coding ?

Or VB.Net! I still don't think your actually reading the replies in this thread.

I HAD decided on jsp but afteer some research from sitepoint i finally understood that its apparently VERY VERY difficult  to learn.

This is all relative. Some people find it difficult to tie there shoes. I would suggest that C# and Java would be pretty well on par with each other in terms of complexity (keep in mind Ive not used either but have read a fair amount of example code in both).

I have never used frameworks actually so I am confused how one can code in a framework. Can anyone explain alittle more completely?

A framework simply provides a higher level interface to some underlying system or functionality. Why don't you buy a book as suggested and start reading? I'm sure eventually you will sort out what a framework is.

How is that not reading the thread.....

You keep repeating things that have already been explained.

Ok well if you have to compile asp.net how can you run it on the web?

Once again, Why don't you buy a book as suggested and start reading?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.