ASP.Net

BoltZ

Well the only framework I have used is jQuery . Ok well if you have to compile asp.net how can you run it on the web?

Compiling it essentially turns it into a program that IIS can serve to web browsers.

ASP.NET has two components:

1. ASP.NET server controls.  These essentially create the markup for your site.  You can use plain HTML server controls, which look and act almost identical to regular HTML, or you can use more powerful server controls that automate tasks (like creating a calendar, or populating a table with DB data) and automatically generate the correct HTML markup for you.

2. Processing code.  This is either written in VB (yuck) or C#.  This is essentially the PHP side of things, where you process whatever happens in your ASP.NET page and handle the results.  This code can be written in-line, just like PHP (think about how you can switch between HTML and PHP within a .php file), or in a code-behind style, where all of the processing code is separated from the ASP file and put in its own VB or C# file.

To combine the two components, they need to be compiled.

ASP.NET is a very different animal than PHP.  The server controls are nice, although using CSS with them can be painful.  The processing side of things isn't too bad, but data binding can be a pain, depending on what you want to do.

Is ASP.Net able to do web stuff like login stuff and stuff that php can do?

You keep repeating things that have already been explained.

I repeat to make sure I understand

Ok I picked up two books on ASP.Net for beginners, I think one of them is by Sams

Should I also get a C# book?

Is ASP.Net able to do web stuff like login stuff and stuff that php can do?

You keep repeating things that have already been explained.

I repeat to make sure I understand

Ok I picked up two books on ASP.Net for beginners, I think one of them is by Sams

Should I also get a C# book?

ASP.NET can do everything PHP can do.  It's just another form of server-side technology.  So, yes, you can connect to databases, write login scripts, create content management systems, and everything else.

I would recommend getting a C# book.  If you don't want to get one, then you can read the Microsoft Developer's Networks (MSDN) C# resource: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/67ef8sbd.aspx .  When reading the online resource pages, be sure that you're reading the .NET 3.5 entries.  There's a little box at the top-right of each page that will tell you what version of .NET it pertains to, with links to other versions.

EDIT: Just to be clear, PHP, ASP.NET, and other server-side languages (like, say, Ruby) can all do the same things.  The differences lie in the way the programmer goes about creating their project.  Sites written in PHP and ASP.NET can look identical, but the methods used in creating them are vastly different.

To elaborate on your "how does a web server run a compiled program" question, PHP is a compiled program.  It's written in C.  How does it run?

A webserver simply passes the request off to the program, the program does its processing thing, and then tells the web server what to serve.  Pretty simple.

So I wouldnt have to compile it myself? Well I got 2 books on asp.net and one in C#, I think that should suffice. Thanks for all your answers guys you really helped

With ASP.NET, you do have to compile it yourself.  Don't worry, though, because you can do it right through Visual Studio or Visual Web Developer 2008 Express.  They also come with built-in debuggers, too.

But asp.net is a interpreted language? But its written in C#. If I remember correctly someone said that I would only compile it sometimes and I am not sure what that is supposed to mean. When would I have to compile it vs times when I don't?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.