My new site

dan_t

One more thing...

When I started using PHP the first thing I did was have dynamic pages running off of an index page...

http://www.shoppingpointmall.com/index.php?content=tools

Whilst this is a great way to save a few KB of server space, it is not totally evident as to what page I am looking at, for example www.mysite.com/tools.php is easier to identify.

Also, if the URL variable is changed, your web page falls over, this is obviously not very pretty, but could expose flaws in your sites security.

Example: http://www.shoppingpointmall.com/index.php?content=jajaja

Now I know why you have done this, to make your life easier, but it would be better to have a single links.inc.php, a header.inc.php and have seperate files for home, about, contact etc, which then call the single links, header etc.

ILMV

What exactly do you mean by single links? Could you elaborate just a little more.

ILMV,

What makes one site amature, and another not.

Is it simplicity, or errors, or lack of content. This would be very useful information in updating the site.

* Colour scheme is not visually pleasing

* Lack of content (Google 'Lorem Ipsum' for text padding)

* Fonts are not consistent

* Font for the header is rather unusual

* Header image is of poor quality

Thats all you should know for now. I would say one last thing, your site stretched to the sides of my screen, my screen is 22" and any content that would be in there would be seriously thin. Consider using a fixed width style (e.g. 800px aligned in the middle).

ILMV

Hello,

OK, I have made a lot of suggested changes to the site. Please tell me if I am going in the right direction.

I completely changed everything except the pictures, and I think I am going to change those also. I did change the logo as suggested. I used the Fireworks I purchased on Ebay, for the first time. I ofcoarse wasn't really that smooth with it , but it's a start.

I am brand new at using PHP. Only took a class. And I don't do this for a living, so I don't get a lot of practice, that's why I look to you guys for help. And I really do appricate it!

Thanks

Dan

Well, it is a step forward, however:

- Where's the logo?

- Your site does not display consistently between say Opera 9.6, Firefox 3 and IE(6). In Opera, I get three columns, in Firefox, I am missing the 'Product Information' section. In IE 6, there is a grey colour behind the 'Shopping piont mall' lettering. You should download, install and test your site across all major browsers. The more accurately you can get your site to display properly on all browsers, the better.

I quickly glanced at your code, and I suspect the issue may stem from your table structure..

perhaps you miscalculated the required width percentages of each section?

It has been a while since I have used tables to build sites.. and on this topic, I would suggest that you take some time to learn to build tableless CSS-based sites.. It's more flexable and easy to manipulate / maintain. You are intertwining content and presentation, which is never a good thing. Just to side step a little and illustrate an example.. your body tag has a built in bgcolor declaration. Now since you will most likely use this page as a template / framework for the rest of your site, image if for whatever reason you wanted to change the background color? You would have to go through each page and manually change this. If you had used a master CSS file to govern the structure / look of the interface, you could make a simple CSS variable change to the background color, and see this change happen site wide.

As it stands, again, I suspect the problem might have to do with your table layout. I would comb through your table code and really analyze what's going on, just to make sure. It may not be the table structure... but this is what is coming to mind off the top of my head. But really, I recommend taking a step back, pick up some CSS books, look through some good CSS tutorial sites (which you can find with Google), and really try to learn to build tableless sites.. Once it all clicks, you won't want to go back to tables for site layout / structure. All major browsers support CSS by default.

Hi,

Sorry.

Website design requires several different skills. Coding is important, first you have to learn a way but try to learn the best ways (DIV's vs tables). Graphic design and visual communication are also vital. There is basically none in this site. Look at how modern sites use graphical backgrounds etc. read about graphic design etc etc.

I always recommend drawing a site on a piece of paper before even touching the computer. Then, mock it up in fireworks / photoshop / illustrator etc. This way you can play with colours, gradients, fonts, shadows etc easily. Then, finally when you already know what you are trying to make get coding.

With our web juniors I always get them to copy a few templates from template monster for the sake of getting a feel for how to use the tools and learning to breakdown what looks good and what does not.

To give you credit you are trying but you need to do some serious work here. Sure read up on HTML / CSS but the design thing is most important to you.

Martin

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.