hobbes.cjb.cc - new design

Nicholas

[url=http://hobbes.cjb.cc/valcrt]hobbes.cjb.cc[/url]

Well, it has been awhile since I've posted here but I'm continuing to learn and develop my knowledge of programming languages. The site uses PHP for nearly everything, including global $_GET variables for those neat little URLs and case/switch functions to distribute the appropriate page throughout the site. I'm still adding content, but I have alot of photos on there as well as some information about myself.

I'd appreciate your comments about the site, good or bad, as well as help getting the left panel to stay aligned to the top of the cell... I can't figure out why it isn't, as I've put in valign's all over the code... :-\

Thanks for looking.:)

Overall I like the design. The first thing that I noticed is when I rolled over your navigation. When you first go on the site when you rollover "home" the rollover text color is very close to the background color. After you go to another page and rollover "home" it turns to white. Also with the navigation, when you rollover the table cells the left half works as a rollover, but the right half does nothing. If you expand the cells that wide, expand the links that wide.

Finally, add some sort of footer, it just looks like your page hits a brick wall at the bottom and just stops for no reason.

I like your artwork section...nice photography and 3d images.

-Chris

Its ok.
There is too much space between the top of the browser window and the main content div.
Im not too gone on the breadcrumb trail in the top header image. It would be better if it were links aswell.

Overall its ok. As mentioned get a footer in there. Some of your pages cut off very short at the bottom.

-steve

[hr]
[font=Verdana]sfsdfsfds[/font]
[color=blue]sdfsfsdf[/color]
' and more test's
[sup]asdasdasd[/sup]
[sub]asdasdasd[/sub]
[table][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]
[s]dsfsdfsd[/s]
<h1>test</h1>

• 3 weeks later...
[url=http://hobbes.cjb.cc]hobbes.cjb.cc[/url]

Sorry to bump, but I've finished the design of the site. Most of the content is also finished.
I've addressed two of the three points you've made, though the third (regarding extending the clickable area of the navigation bars all the way to the right) is relatively impossible. I have a transparent pixel stretching to size, and it has to be the same size for each link. because it uses the padding attribute of css, the maximum distance is decided by the link with the most characters. this happens to be the ziehen.deviantart.com link. because of this link, the rest of the links must also have the same padding on their right sides. because they're all shorter than that link, however, you get space on the far right that isn't clickable because it isn't covered by the transparent image.

hopefully that made sense. my coding/design practices may be a bit unusual.

i'd appreciate your comments, though. the layout was a concept i threw together in photoshop which somehow became a reality. it's my most technically advanced website, though it may not appear as such. the main file is over 400 lines, and growing constantly as i add more content. it uses PHP extensively, as a mediator between pages and to repeat tedious actions. i'm proud of the programming side of things.

content wise, it has the most information i've ever given in a personal website. i have 3 pages describing some of my major hobbies, four pages within the art catagory, and then four more pages within the rct catagory. i encourage you to check out my photography, as that's the section i'm most proud of and have spent the most time updating. the rct section will hopefully grow with time, but i suppose that depends on how much i improve with each passing park/design.

anyway, thanks so much for viewing.
comments/criticisms welcome

Change the blach header to a white / grey gradient. See if you can use the diagonal stripes in it. Trust me, it'll look a lot better. Bottom corners of content look unfinished.

Fix displacement of navlinks on rollover.

to make the nav links extend the width of their containing cell, all you have to do is change their tags to:

[code]<a href="blah" style="display: block;">[/code]

they will then span the width of their container.  i tried this with web developer toolbar's edit HTML function, so i know it works.

i'll add some comments too, since i took the time to look at the site.  nothing stands out at me as being bad.  i like the colours, the simplicity, and the clean lines.  nicely done.  RCT is addicting, i'll add.

[quote author=akitchin link=topic=99174.msg401016#msg401016 date=1153461573]
to make the nav links extend the width of their containing cell, all you have to do is change their tags to:

[code]<a href="blah" style="display: block;">[/code]

they will then span the width of their container.  i tried this with web developer toolbar's edit HTML function, so i know it works.

i'll add some comments too, since i took the time to look at the site.  nothing stands out at me as being bad.  i like the colours, the simplicity, and the clean lines.  nicely done.  RCT is addicting, i'll add.
[/quote]

AWESOME, thanks so much.
448191, I'll play around with gradients in Photoshop. If I like it, I'll add it.

Thanks for looking and commenting, everyone.

[url=http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/]http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listamatic/[/url]

that page has some good tutorials that lay the basics down about links, navs, layouts, etc (it's where i got the display: block; from).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.