Newbie - for real! Just getting started!

I installed and configured OsCommerce and now [b]I can now see the page [/b] both when I test the site using:

http://localhost/ghani_website_test/shop/ and in Dreamweaver

[b]I am getting the following error messages at the top of the page:[/b]

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp\sess_d90cc53ca423e042d8abcece28371db2, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\includes\functions\sessions.php on line 67

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\includes\functions\sessions.php:67) in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\includes\functions\sessions.php on line 67

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\includes\functions\sessions.php:67) in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\includes\functions\sessions.php on line 67

Warning: The sessions directory does not exist: /tmp. Sessions will not work until this directory is created.

Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\includes\functions\sessions.php, line 67 is below:

Line 66  function tep_session_start() {
Line 67      return session_start();
Line 68  }

“  Warning: The sessions directory does not exist: /tmp. Sessions will not work until this directory is created.”

I think this is asking for a “tmp” directory. I created one in the:

C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\tmp
and
C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\tmp

This must not be where the program is looking for the file because the message is not going away.

Okay. I see whats happening. Goto http://localhost/ghani_website_test/shop/admin

That should take you to the admin control panel. Now ignore any errors currently on the page. Click the configuration link
Now look on the left and in the grey menu click the sessions link.

Now press the Edit button on the right. It shoud load up the Session Directory setting. Change\tmp to:
C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\tmp

Make sure you have a folder called tmp in the ghani_website_test folder

Now click the update button. When you press the update button you'll most probably get a page full of errors. Now press the refresh button in your browser. It should refresh the page all errors should now disappear. If you get any more errors then post them here and I'll have a quick look.

This is what I get in the window when I type in: http://localhost/ghani_website_test/shop/admin/

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: open(/tmp\sess_4b2307384c6e000194e93ce6093909d8, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\admin\includes\functions\sessions.php on line 67

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\admin\includes\functions\sessions.php:67) in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\admin\includes\functions\sessions.php on line 67

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\admin\includes\functions\sessions.php:67) in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\admin\includes\functions\sessions.php on line 67

Fatal error: Cannot re-assign $this in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\admin\includes\classes\upload.php on line 31

Warning: Unknown: open(/tmp\sess_4b2307384c6e000194e93ce6093909d8, O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in Unknown on line 0

Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

Do you just get a page full of errors when you goto that page? Do you not get anything else? If you dont get anythink dispayed then place the following code:
[code]<?php

echo '<h1>Database Update Wizard</h1>';

if(!isset($_GET['act']) || $_GET['act'] != 'go')
{
    echo 'This wizard will attempt to change a few osCommerce settings stored in the database<br /><br />';
    echo '<a href="?act=go">Click to continue</a>';
}
else
{
    echo 'The wizard will now attempt to change a few database settings';

include './includes/configure.php';

$conn = @mysql_connect(DB_SERVER, DB_SERVER_USERNAME, DB_SERVER_PASSWORD) or die("Unable to connect to db: " . mysql_error());
    mysql_select_db(DB_DATABASE) or die("Unable to select db: " . mysql_error());

$sess_folder = "C:/Program Files/xampp/htdocs/ghani_website_test/tmp";

$sql = "UPDATE configuration SET configuration_value='$sess_folder' WHERE configuration_key='SESSION_WRITE_DIRECTORY'";
    $result = mysql_query($sql, $conn) or die("Unable to perform query: <i>{$sql}</i><br />" . mysql_error());

echo "<h2>Update completed!</h2>";
    echo 'Session will be writtent to the following location: <code>' . $sess_folder . '</code><br />';
    echo 'Please now go to the <a href="./admin/">Admin section</a>. The session write dir has now been set';
}

?>[/code]
In a new file called oscUpdate.php. Save this file in your shop folder (:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop). Now goto the following url:
http://localhost/ghani_website_test/shop/oscUpdate.php

Run the script. It shoud update your oscommerce datatbase settings. You should now get no errors. But make sure you have a folder called tmp in the ghani_website_test folder.

I see everything now without the error messages after following your instructions. I don't know if this message is import. I received it in the window after the update was complete however, it does not seem to be affecting the viewing of the site:

Fatal error: Cannot re-assign $this in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\admin\includes\classes\upload.php on line 31

When I go to dreamweaver, I also see the pages however when I click within the index.php page, it response like it is a protected area and dims. I opened another page and a "live data error" window came up.
Asking for more help takes me to: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14465
which was no help at all since no other error messages appeared.

After checking around a little more, I see there are areas of certain pages that are editable. I have to run out now bout check all the directories completely before reporting back. I am use to seeing the all templates in one area. I will check the admin files when I come back.

I want you to know you have been a great help and I apprciate it much, I have leaned a lot in the pass few days rather painlessly. I have look all around but UI have not found an area for contributions, is there one?

Any futher pointers you can give for editing will also be appreciated.

Ummzee

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.