[SOLVED] Put an Icon in the Favorites Box along with my link in a browser

oceans

I will try, but please help me where to place it, as for bookmarking, I use the following in the body section.

Thanks.

<tr>
                    <td><input name="button" type="button" onclick="bookmark('http://www.blablabla.com/','blablabla.com ( blablabla )')" value="Bookmark Us!" /></td>
                  </tr>

Did you put it in the head of your document?

Look for:

</head>

replace with:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
</head>

For this to work you must have your icon (in this case its called favicon.ico) in your ROOT directory of your site or adjust the path accordingly (/favicon.ico).

If this is done and its not working, there is a possibility that the icon itself is wrong.  Google 'favicon.ico' and you will find a ton of info on how to properly create them and set them up.

IE is spotty as hell when it comes to favicon implementation. IE6 is particularly bad, but IE7 is a pain in the butt too. I read a blog one time by the guy who was responsible for favicon implementation either IE6 or IE7 (he wasn't working for microsoft anymore at the time of writing), and he was talking about how he felt bad that it had ended up so screwed up!

Thanks I am using javascript to do the book marking

function bookmark(url,title){
  if ((navigator.appName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer") && (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4)) {
  window.external.AddFavorite(url,title);
  } else if (navigator.appName == "Netscape") {
    window.sidebar.addPanel(title,url,"");
  } else {
    alert("Press CTRL-D (Netscape) or CTRL-T (Opera) to bookmark");
  }
}

where & how can I place your suggestion?

Dear Haku,

Thanks but did you tried yourself, the reason is

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://images.monster.com/favicon.ico">

window.external.AddFavorite(url,title); does not make use of your suggestion thus it will not reside in one's computer.

please advise

The following forms the book markling page, the java script for book marking is above.

I already getting the favicon on the address bar, what I want is the icon to appear on the favorites list.

<?php
ob_start();
?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="../CSS/favicon.ico" />
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<link href="../CSS/StyleSheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
<script type="text/javascript" src="../CSS/BookMark.js"></script>
</head>
<body>
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="Background01">
<tr>
  <td><table width="765" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
  <td><table width="755" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0">
        <tr>
          <td width="745" class="MainPageHeader1">Bookmark Us!</td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td> </td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td><table width="745" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0">
            <tr class="FieldValue">
              <td width="167"> </td>
              <td width="558"><table width="167" border="0" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0">

<tr>
                    <td width="157"> </td>
                  </tr>
                  <tr>
                    <td> </td>
                  </tr>

<tr>
                    <td> </td>
                  </tr>

<tr>
                    <td><input name="button" type="button" onclick="bookmark('http://www.blablabla.com/','www.blablabla.com')" value="Bookmark Us!" /></td>
                  </tr>
                </table></td>
            </tr>
          </table></td>
        </tr>
        <tr>
          <td class="MainPageFooter1"> </td>
        </tr>
      </table></td>
</tr>

</table></td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

May I ask is

"CTRL-D"

common for all browsers for asking for book marking?

The reason is, when I ask IE to book mark I see my icon, but if I ask my script, does away with the icon.

If CTRL-D is common for all browser, I will simply prompt user to type CTRL-D, why must I sweat so much. It is a small thing any way.

May I ask is

"CTRL-D"

common for all browsers for asking for book marking?

The reason is, when I ask IE to book mark I see my icon, but if I ask my script, does away with the icon.

If CTRL-D is common for all browser, I will simply prompt user to type CTRL-D, why must I sweat so much. It is a small thing any way.

Its different for different browsers.  As you are seeing there is no way to accomplish what you are trying to do in all browsers, and even then different versions of the same browser handle it differently.  Its not a standard, so there is no standard way to handle it.

I am wondering why you are putting so much time into something that doesn't really need to be done anyway.  If people know how to use a browser, the vast majority of them know how to bookmark.  If they like your site, they will bookmark it without you prompting them.

There is no way to use javascript to have your favicon appear in their favorites list. It's a browser setting. The best you can do is use the < link> code that was given to you earlier. It will insert the favicon in the bookmarks list on modern browsers, but will be spotty with older browsers. There is no way around that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.