Returning mysql rows into an array (i think)

Prank

Hi Guys,

I am building a site which is going to utilise a 'settings' table in mysql which will effect the site depending on the value of certain fields.. does that make sense?

So, I have a 3 field table (id, name & value). Then the rows would be (for example; 1, is_feature_turned_on, Y). So then a simple if statement will display or hide that feature. Now, what I want to know is, whats the best way to reference these names and values? I could be stupid and simple write a new query for each row that I want to reference (SELECT * FROM settings WHERE name = is_feature_turned_on) but thats silly. I dont know how else I can easily access these values, so I thought I must be able to put them into an array somehow and access them like so (name['is_feature_turned_on']) but I simply cannot get my head around how to do this. It might be really simple and something I have just not yet considered.

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any help at all on this.

Thanks in advance,

Christian

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=99267.msg390886#msg390886 date=1151909295]
do you want to select all the rows where the value = something? or do you want to select all the information in all of the rows and then be able to manipulate that info with php?
[/quote]

I dont need to be able to manipulate it as it should be fine in its current state. I just need to select all and then refer to it

Thanks!

[code]
<?php
//connect to sql and selected your db

//select everything from your table
$sql = "select * from settings";
$result = mysql_query($sql);

//loop through each row
while ($list = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
  //option 1:
  //if you are just wanting it to display the list one time, simply echo it here
  //example echo'd format:
  echo $list['id'] . " " . $list['name'] . " " . $list['value'] . "<br>";

//option 2:
  //if you need to be able to access these results for later, like
  //passing it to another script eventually, or something, make
  //an array of the results:
  $info[] = $list;
} //end while loop

//examples for accessing $info data:

//dump everything out:
foreach($info as $key => $val) {
  echo $key . " : " . $val . "<br>";
}

//access a specific row:
//echos the name in the 3rd row..remember arrays start at 0 not 1
echo $info[2]['name'];
?>
[/code]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.