How do you know if a programmer is a good programmer?

ok

I would like to add this.

A good programmer don't play computer games unless he is developing computer games.

A good programmer always and almost all the time seat in the front of the computer.

Huh... what?

I mean... a good programmer works in his work time, and in his free time he does whatever he wants. (and yes, good programmers have free time... loads of it)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to add this.

A good programmer don't play computer games unless he is developing computer games.

A good programmer always and almost all the time seat in the front of the computer.

Just take away computer games from me and I'm dead already.

Playing computer games : Best way to ease the pressure and headaches in programming for me.

I believe the result is important in this case, You wanna make some code that works fine and gives the desired result, who cares if you are swimming in a pool and coding or you are bungee jumping? xD

I don't agree with much of your things. You make programmers sound like people who never leave their computer, who lock themselves in a room and are scared of anything else.

I consider myself a pretty good programmer. Yet I can go days without coding. I think a good programmer should be someone who sticks to a style, writes clean and easy to read code. You can associate recreational activities with the skill of a programmer.

your time zone and china assuming your american are way different england all over the world your daytime or morning is somebodys late night evening

hell im awake odd hours working second shift then coding third and sleeping from 6 am to 2 in the afternoon

If you are a good programmer, you can know very easily if another person is a good programmer, especially if they have a lot of experience.

The syntax of their language while talking to you will reveal much. A person who speaks clearly and to the point, while using constructs that are very similar to programming will most likely be very good at programming - it is because coding has taken over their mind. :lol:

What you do for most of the day leaves an imprint in your speech patterns.

The other thing I used to ask about during interviews was, what equipment did they have at home. Those who had a good hobby system at home often make excellent programmers due to the fact for them, it wasn't a job, but at times, an obsession.

And to get some programs right, it helps to be obsessed...

In my eyes, this is a good programmer:

- Someone who tries to code with the standards all the time.

- Can understand other programming languages without really knowing them.

- Approaches to math and logic processes with moderation. He doesn't have to be a math freak.

- Always tests his code.

- Adds comments to the code with moderation.

- Knows to differentiate work from fun.

- Uses and understands other people's codes.

- Does not use Internet Explorer.

- Has imagination.

In my eyes, this is a good programmer:

- Someone who tries to code with the standards all the time.

- Can understand other programming languages without really knowing them.

- Approaches to math and logic processes with moderation. He doesn't have to be a math freak.

- Always tests his code.

- Adds comments to the code with moderation.

- Knows to differentiate work from fun.

- Uses and understands other people's codes.

- Does not use Internet Explorer.

- Has imagination.

im with you until does not use ie.

i use chrome, firefox, ie, safari, and use browsershots.org on all projects to test on browsers i dont have access to.

i think a good programmer or designer has the use of all the major ones and makes fulent designs on all platforms

A good programmer is someone who doesn't take on jobs that are above their head and then come to boards like these, making 'ZOMG TEH URGENTZ NED HEPL ASAP FIX TIS NOW PLOX!!1!111!!!1!1ONE!!1!!"  posts. 

Agreed a good programmer wont take on jobs that they cant handle..

I good programmer's first response in seeing someone else's code is not to say it needs to be rewritten...

What if it would take longer to fix the current code?

That would be first response, now would it?  ;D

Another one, a good programmer knows how to use debugging and trace tools, and actually uses them - and if SQL, knows how to profile queries.

In other words, a good programmer knows how to use the right tool for the right job, which includes finding bugs and performance issues. He / She doesn't just sit there staring at the screen hoping for divine guidance or something.  ::)