Advertisements on PHP Freaks

I guess it is the infinity hosts that have me brain washed.... There are just so many hosts out there that offer unlimited bandwidth and HDD space. I never thought of them placing a limit on the size of a database. I just though that was part of the unlimited HDD space....

It's not necessarily a database size limit. On my (unlimited everything) host for example I have a limit on number of queries per hour. With my site I will not hit it anytime soon, but site like phpFreaks would probably hit in within minutes. Apart from that you should take into consideration factors like simultaneous connections available, RAM, etc. If you happen to be on shared host with a badly design site, that hogs all resources for itself you might also observe a drop in performance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it is the infinity hosts that have me brain washed.... There are just so many hosts out there that offer unlimited bandwidth and HDD space. I never thought of them placing a limit on the size of a database. I just though that was part of the unlimited HDD space....

I highly doubt the unlimited bandwidth, I am sure they have a clause in there on what that actually means, same with HDD space. I bet the fine print has restrictions on what that actually means, like mchl said maybe they limit the queries per hour.

Cause I pay around $1200/month for a dedicated server and I have bandwidth and hdd limits. Granted my bandwidth is about 3,000 gb/month and I have yet to come close to it, I still have limits for that price. But I also get 16 ips on my server to use for my customers sites, but yea.

Dedicated hosting is extremely pricey, but is totally worth it for security and the fact that you do not have to worry about some knot head taking down the server or them erasing your account for no reason etc.

I totally understand the costs to run a free site on a dedicated server. Anyhelp you can give is a big help to keep the site up and running.

I was using one of those unlimited everything hosts (Bluehost) for about two years until I realized that they suck. Bad. They started doing maintenance on my server, and because they were doing maintenance, my site went down with a message that MY site was using too much resources, when it was a direct result of them using most of the resources to do maintenance. This '1 hour' maintenance turned into 72 hours, at which point I put up the money to switch to a much better hosting company, Fused Network, which has caused me no problems at all.

• 6 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.