Can this be done faster using ZF or Drupal?

extrovertive

Both of which I have yet to learn -- but am considering studying intensely either one of them, for a web project I'm building.

I am an intermediate PHP 5 programmer and know basic User-interface/graphics design (able to create a basic CSS/XHTML from scratch).

Well, I want to be able to create a custom user registration/login, personalization, profile management, groups, and group blog site mainly to share photos they took from their digital camera.

- User can register on the site and have access to upload their photos (tagging it) and either share it in their group (private or public access).

- Private or public access to their photo gallery -- is there a free mod for this for Drupal?

- They can also download widgets (special members only). The widgets are already built, but only certain users can download it.

- News article system for admin to post.

Now, I have created the design (CSS, HTML, and images) and an idea on what functionalities I need. The problem? I just downloaded Drupal 6, hoping to spent some time reading tutorials and books, and was wondering how long would it take to built a custom web application like my requirements?

I know Drupal has a steep learning curve, but what about doing the same thing using the Zend Framework? Would it be much easier since the framework has not rigid structure? Or, would Drupal be easier since it's already a CMS and I just need to learn understand the modules and template system?

To get an idea of the finished product, go to:

http://www.fastcompany.com -- that's an idea of the features and design I want to built from scratch.

http://www.pdnonline.com -- that's also exactly the look of my design and the features I want to built.

Can this work out faster on Drupal or ZF?

• 3 weeks later...

Hard to give a right or wrong answer on this, specially without knowing too much.  You're an intermediate PHP 5 programmer but how fast do you code?  How fast do you learn (coding or Drupal's node system)?  How fast are you at coding a layout from scratch versus learning a template system?  etc, etc.

Wanting things done quickly is a common request in our world, specially in business.  It shouldn't be the main focus unless it needs to be and usually it doesn't.  But, being that I can't change that, here's the advise I would give.

In my opinion I think its a trade off.  In reality you would probably be able to do it quicker in Drupal.  Most everything is there, its just a matter of figuring out how to piece it together.  There's a lot of info on their templates so you shouldn't have a lot of issues with that.  Drupal is also very flexible and has a large community to provide basically what you're looking for.  The catch is, Drupal is a one size fits all (as most CMS's).  It could end up getting difficult to get it exactly as you want it to look.  Also, if you run in to any third party apps that don't work as expected you either have to wait for a change or do it yourself.  That could eat up time.  Then there's a common concern of performance.  As mentioned Drupal is a one size fits all and is very flexible but that comes at a cost.  Drupal with third party plugins can really hammer your DB and start weighing on other resources. 

Now regarding Zend Framework.  It is a very powerful and exciting framework but for most there is a fair learning curve.  I had started out with ZF in hopes to knock out an social networking app very quickly.  It definitely didn't work as I had hoped and took much longer than doing it other ways.  In the ZF IRC channel (#zftalk on freenode.net) I had found others who fell into the same trap.  ZF is not as easy and light as some other frameworks out there but it is a great framework.  The benefit to doing it in ZF would be total control of code, layout and optimizing / streamlining of the application.

The positive to both is their are good packages to learn.  I come across a lot of postings for Drupal work and ZF being a Zend product can provide some good opportunities.  They both have strong communities to help you out as well.

In closing, I would suggest you also consider your 'future'.  Which option would move you more towards what you want beyond this project?  Using ZF and developing the app may move you into an advanced PHP programmer with additional skills in CSS/XHTML/AJAX, etc.  Using Drupal may give you skills to put together some great looking and usable websites with a CMS in demand.  There are many things to consider.

Good luck!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.