Should I use Drupal for this or use ZendFramework?

extrovertive

Hello,

I am an intermediate PHP 5 programmer and know basic User-interface/graphics design (able to create a basic CSS/XHTML from scratch).

Well, I want to be able to create a custom user registration/login, personalization, profile management, groups, and group blog site mainly to share photos they took from their digital camera.

- User can register on the site and have access to upload their photos (tagging it) and either share it in their group (private or public access).

- Private or public access to their photo gallery -- is there a free mod for this for Drupal?

- They can also download widgets (special members only). The widgets are already built, but only certain users can download it.

- News article system for admin to post.

Now, I have created the design (CSS, HTML, and images) and an idea on what functionalities I need. The problem? I just downloaded Drupal 6, started reading tutorials and some books, and was wondering how long would it take to built a custom web application like my requirements? At the same time, how long would it take to convert my custom web design to fit within the Drupal domain?

I have a 3-6 weeks to complete this -- my goal:

-- Read the book "Pro Drupal Development" - spent 3 weeks on it.

-- Spend 1 week transforming my pre-built design to the Drupal template system

-- Spend 2 weeks building the requirements in PHP (registration/login, personalization, profile customization, widgets sharing, blogs, forums, private/public image gallery). However, are there mods on how to do this easier and have it been custom built/design???

Thus, 6 weeks total.

I plan to work lots of hours, moonlight, and even weekends reading my Drupal book.

To get an idea of the finished product, go to:

http://www.fastcompany.com -- that's an idea of the features and design I want to built from scratch.

http://www.pdnonline.com -- that's also exactly the look of my design and the features I want to built.

Can this work out?

Since the learning curve might be steep for Drupal, can it also be done faster using the ZendFramework?

You can probably do it. Drupal take some time to get hour head around, but once you do, it's really fast and easy to put together a site. With the exception of the site design, I could put together the functionality of the site you are speaking of in about 5-8 hours in Drupal, using pre-existing modules.

The design would take a little longer however. But all good site designs do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.