navigation

runnerjp

hey all i have created a running site...well a homepage so far lol
what i wanna know is so far how does it look .. yes i know there is little there but i wanna no if i need to chnage it with little done so its easyer plus need some ideas on how i can navigate people around the site.. use just text links...buttons or what ???
[move]Please help[/move]
    [url=http://www.werun2win.com/home.html]www.werun2win.com/home.html[/url]

Hmmmm... I dont think the two tall left and right hand columns work, why not make the top cell (the one with the logo in 760 pixels in length and have the one below it have all three in it, like this:

+------------------+
|                          |
+---+---------+----+
|    |            |    |
|    |            |    |
|    |            |    |
|    |            |    |
|    |            |    |
|    |            |    |
+---+---------+----+

Also, why is the login form in Flash?

Looks ok. Its very plain and empty.
You can put navigation in the left column, or have a horizontal Nav menu under Your header image.

Add more content and especially in the left and right columns, - which btw are old fashioned looking, especially with the sizes you are using.

Rgds,
Steve

yer [quote author=cmgmyr link=topic=99296.msg391705#msg391705 date=1152063908]
You have to do something about the colors. It looks like a running page for senior citizens. Add some graphics of people running, woods, trails...something. Make it inviting.

-Chris
[/quote]i will be duin this mate cheers...just gttin enitial layout done then im going to wow the pages with images and stuff :D

• 2 weeks later...
I would look at the level of professionalism you are trying to appeal to. If it is a just a personal site, do what you feel, but if you are putting this site on the web to be used as a community you might want to think about usability and a very nice crisp design.

As of now if I found the site, I would not rely on any of the information on the site just by appearance alone.

Oh dear.  A home page that's well over 120kb (don't expect too many dial-up users); 'code' that uses nothing but absolutely-positionned divs for layout (a simple, lightweight 3-column CSS layout would do better); a color scheme from what? the 1950s; a font that's verging on the too small; and a fixed-width layout so that the 25% of visitors running at 8x6 will have to scroll sideways.

Navigation? Sure - use the left column as that's typically where people expect it.

I'll give you a visual tip. Don't have the runner at the top left running [b]away[/b] from the page as that inevitably draws the viewer's eyes away from your content.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.